Chapter 4

4

As they rode, no one spoke. It was silent. As they came closer and closer to the castle, the air got cooler. Mira began to shiver. “Here,” the smallest of the dwarfs handed her a white cloak, “this will keep you warm.” Mira smiled gratefully and took it, throwing it over her shoulders. Mira began to study  the castle, and then realized why it was so cold. The castle was made completely of snow. Mira had never seen anything like it. It stood so tall she could hardly see the tip of the tallest tower. It was bigger than any mansion she could have possibly imagined! It must have had one hundred -thousand rooms in it. This excited Mira. It was much like the castles she had studied in her history books...except this one was made of snow, and was much, much bigger. They rode in through an ice gate that closed tightly behind them with a clank. They then dismounted their thrones, and walked into the castle, followed by the seven little men.

The inside was even more beautiful than the outside. Its magnificence was indescribable. Ice chandeliers hung from the ceiling, and the windows were all made of ice as well, the sun reflecting through them in rainbows on the floor. The air smelled of gingerbread, and the floor was soft beneath her feet. Queen Snow White lead Mira to a room with a small bed, and a large ice window that looked out over the realm. “This is where you will be staying.” Snow White said.

“Me? Stay here?” Mira was terrified. There was no way she was staying in some crazy lady’s castle. Timidly, she stepped into the room, then turned to Snow White. “It’s perfect.” She sighed, content at least that she had a place to stay.

“Wonderful. Nali will help you get settled in.” The little dwarf that had offered her the cloak earlier stepped into the room, while Snow White and the others glided away.

“You should be careful, you know.” The little man whispered.

“What?”

“You should be careful. You know you’re here for a reason.”

“What reason?”

“Ok so your dresses are here in this wardrobe,” He said, quickly changing the subject just as her parents always did. Oh well, she was used to it. Looking into the wardrobe there were an unlimited assortment of dresses. “Your shoes are in the drawer down there and the bathroom is down the hall.” Nali finished.

“Thank you.” Mira replied, and Nali left the room. There was no way she was going to stay here. It was too much like her life. She sensed hidden secrets, full of subject changes, and things that she just wanted to get away from. If she was going to be in a fairytale world, she may as well have a good time. As soon as Nali was out of sight, Mira slipped out of the castle, snagged a horse from the royal stable, and galloped away.