ii

CHAPTER TWO: DRUGSTORE TALKS
' if you have anything to say right now,
then i'd rather you spit it out. '

THE JACKSON GIRL AWKWARDLY stood in front of the aisle of perfectly lined box's of pads and tampons, her dark eyes scanning the rows that filled her with dread

'If only I knew a spell to make this fucking wreck of a week leave.'

She let out an exasperated sigh and rolled her eyes, grabbing a box and a few bars of chocolates before walking around the aisle, the box and chocolates filling her arms.

She froze when she saw her brother standing in that cramped aisle of medicine, his friends standing behind him. She gritted her teeth and lowly growled when she saw that they were practically squeezed in the cramped aisle. But she halted her noise and widened her eyes when all of them turned towards her, as if they heard the annoyed sound that she could barely hear herself.

She saw she muscles in Kai's arms and jaw tense as his eyes fell on her. And when they did, Ophelia felt all those minutes and hours of missing and yearning for him to comfort her as she struggled to control her gifts, take care of her sick mother, and still handle her classes, completely disappear. She bit her tongue to hold back the curses and shouts that she wanted to release at him when she saw his eyes land on her.

She saw his mouth open and close, trying to find the right words. She rolled her eyes, tightening her grip on the stuff she holding. "If you anything to say to me right now, then i rather you spit it out."

She heard the small 'ooh' of amusement come from her brother's huge friends that she recognized to be Paul Lahote, Quil Ateara, and Embry Call. Sam Uley's bitches.

Kai looked down and let out an awkward chuckle. "Uh, nice to see you too, Lia."
She narrowed her eyes and held up her hand, pausing his words.

"You lost the right to call me that a looong time ago."

She saw him clench his jaw in frustration. "Okay, Ophelia. How's mom?"
She rolled her eyes once again, and opened her mouth to speak, but was cut off when Kai said, "And can you please tell me an answer that isn't snarky and sarcastic?"

Now it was her turn to clench her jaw in frustration as she put on a sickeningly sweet smile on her face, a smile that even made the boys behind Kai uneasy.
"Sure, dear brother. She has had multiple times of throwing up, can barely walk or talk without falling asleep after four minutes, and her hair is falling out due to the medicine she's been taking. Is that a good enough answer for you?"

She saw the flash of guilt and sadness fill his eyes, but he couldn't even get any words out before she stormed past him angrily.

'Now you feel the sadness I feel.'

She stormed out of the shop after she paid, no sign of the huge boy's on steroids. But she halted her steps when she saw Venus making out with a girl next to the bikes. Ophelia rolled her eyes and waited, and waited, and waited. Until she couldn't handle it anymore and let the words escape her mouth.

"Vee! Again?!"

The girl jumped away from the blue-haired girl who looked slightly annoyed, but waved her hand enthusiastically. "Oh, hey, Ophelia!" The girl gathered her backpack, muttering a 'sorry' as she walked past the black-haired girl.

"Saw you talking to your hot brother. How'd it go?"

Ophelia rolled her eyes, walking past Venus to grab her bike as her friend gathered her's. "One, can you please not call my brother 'hot'? And two, the talk sucked"
They both walked on the sidewalk as they rolled their bikes. "He had his friends on steroids right behind him while I kept saying snarky stuff. I couldn't shut my mouth!"

Venus laughed, her electric blue hair flowing behind her. "Nice, Lia. Soon you'll learn how to insult a person using three words."

Ophelia rolled her eyes. "Hahaha, very funny."

"See, you're catching on quickly!"

⌒★⌒☆

Ophelia opened the door, letting light stream through the dark house. A bundle of blankets were layered over a figure that was breaking heavily, but hoarsely. Ophelia let out a small sigh, letting the bag fall to the ground. She walked over to the figure, bending down to their height. She felt the tears sting her eyes when she saw the baby-smooth head sticking out of the blankets.

Her mother looked so vulnerable, so fragile. It actually sickened Ophelia. But she let her hands go to her mother's head as she saw the familiar blood-red energy seeping through her fingers, twirling around the fragile head.

She knew that she promised herself that she would never use her powers on her family and loved ones, but she couldn't help but give her mother an image that would make her smile even in her sleep. An image that would comfort her in her darkest dreams.

An image that could comfort her even when Ophelia couldn't.