Ch. 3 ~ The Invisible Woman

Chapter 3

   “Hey! Where’s the pixies?” Molly wiggled and wriggled, trying to get out of the transparent jelly, but she couldn’t. There was jelly everywhere. Even though she was floating right in the middle of it, Molly found she could breathe OK.

   “Hello, Molly B. Smith,” a calm, nice voice that belonged to a woman spoke out of nowhere. “In order for you to enter the magical world, you must NOT be boring.”

   “What?” Molly asked. “But I’m not!” Molly cracked a few jokes to the woman’s voice and told a funny story just to prove it. The voice was laughing like crazy.

   “OK, OK,” The woman’s voice wheezed in between her laughs. “You’re right, you are very exciting. However, you’re appearance is very dull. And who calls their daughter Molly? Only boring people. So pick a new name, too.”

   “A new name?” Secretly, Molly had always wanted a new name. In fact, she’d had a certain name in mind she’d always wanted for a while.

   “How about… Charlie?” It was less girly than Molly, thankfully. “Yeah, Charlie – Charlie B. Dinkle. Dinkle like sprinkle.”

   Molly – oh wait, I mean Charlie – decided to keep the 'B' in her name since it stood for her dad’s name: Bob. She couldn’t change her dad’s name, no matter how boring it was.

   “Wonderful,” the voice agreed. “Now, let’s make your appearance more exciting. First with that silly hair of yours. What do you want it to be?”

   “Hmm, orange! I want my hair to be very curly and long and orange,” said Mo- Charlie B. Dinkle.

   Instantly, Charlie’s hair was no longer brown, straight and short. It was orange, curly, and long.

   This is like dress up! Thought Charlie. “Oh, and dark blue eyes! Like the ocean.”

   “As you wish,” smoothly said the invisible woman. “Would you like to change your clothes, too?”

   “Yes, yes! Give me a pretty fluffy dress that’s a bit short, so I can still play in it. And make it purple,” Molly added, remembering the Gobblecracker’s and her favorite color. Charlie felt her jeans and blouse taken off of her and replaced with a comfy dress.

   “All done,” said the voice with approval in her tone. The jelly Charlie was floating in melted away quickly, leaving the little girl to stand on a marble floor with a long mirror in front of her. “Take a look at yourself.”

   Molly B. Smith was no longer Molly B. Smith. She was Charlie B. Dinkle, the girl with magnificent curly orange hair and eyes the color of the ocean. Her dress was perfect; it was just above her knees, and was comfy from the top with two straps. The skirt was fluffy and purple. Charlie loved it. Of course, she still had a tiny, pointy nose and looked rather skinny, but Charlie was pleased with how she looked. She looked exciting.

   “Congrats, Charlie B. Dinkle,” the woman’s voice announced. “You look exciting.”

   And let me tell you something, you people who are reading the tale of Charlie B. Dinkle. No matter what the name of this little girl was, or how she looked, the girl who loved climbing trees and had a dad named Bob definitely felt exciting.