The Two of Us

5 p.m., the Delta flight 9179 a connecting flight from Los Angeles California cruised the sky straight to Narita, Tokyo before safely landed at the tarmac of NAIA in Manila. It was a very long and silent journey until the aircraft touched the ground and screeches along the runway. It suddenly became alive and blissful as the passengers hurriedly disembarked overtaking one after another while crossing the tube connecting the plane to the main entry of the immigration checkpoints. For the Filipino Balikbayans, there was an obvious excitement in their faces as they patiently waited for the final entry to the country where they long to set their foot once again.

The difference was literally spelled not just by the distance but also the missing skyscrapers, a common vista of Las Vegas that bridges the modern city to the vast heavens.

Although, from a distance, a number of tall buildings rise above leveling the foggy sky, spread in a spot near the center of the foggy plain. It can be seen from the window while the aircraft maneuvered to find the perfect point for initial descent.

While waiting for his turn to be checked and cleared by the immigration officer, Brandon silently stood behind the other foreigners, mostly Americans, whom he was with earlier inside the plane.

The lone and short queue of foreign passport holders was barely moving while the several lines of Filipinos have already been replaced by the new arrival. Once he stepped forward for his turn, the officer looked back and forth at Brandon and his passport.

For several minutes, the officer scrutinized the passport, he was either looking for something to question or just taking his job seriously. He realized why the line moved so slowly.

Before he came, he was already briefed by his friends about the things he would most likely to experience upon arrival.

"Have you been deployed to Iraq Sir?" the officer asked.

"Yes, 3 times to be exact"

He expected that question to come up and he knew exactly how he would answer.

He assumed the question was prompted by the Iraqi Stamp. He's on him while flipping the pages of his passport.

Brandon didn't want to appear arrogant or any sort of disrespect so his explanation was concise but substantial.

"This multiple entry" the officer commented.

"While active in Iraq, I was granted leave three times in which I flew by civilian planes in and out of Iraq three times, there where I got that triple entry Sir"

He genuinely felt the pride of being a member of the Military. For him, it was the most extreme experience he ever had in life yet suddenly, he felt a sting in his heart. His identity could be easily associated to the Iraq war, the gruesome and hostile war that took lives of those who fought beside him.

Will the memory linger and haunt him forever?

He presented his Identification card issued by the Veterans Association, bearing his complete name – Brandon P.M. Rodriguez. P for Percival and M for Meyer from his American Mother Antoinette Meyer married to his Mexican father

The officer took another look at his face then back to the ID before he compared it to his passport in which he surveyed every page before he finally stamped it.

Before he came, he was told that both the Philippine Immigration and the Bureau of Customs are mulled by crooked officers who extorts money from tourist especially the new comers who have no clear connections. When picked deliberately to be on the side of misfortune then the unfortunate has to deal with it.

Brandon felt relieved. At least, at that moment, he was safe. He believed, it has something to do with his military record. If so, he wanted to feel even more proud.