2

The tune Bela Lugosi's Dead blasted through Elvira's bedroom at such a high volume no human being should be able to bear. But because of her acute hearing it didn't affect her. If anything it inspired her to dance around even more like a trad goth from the eighties who had just taken a tab of ecstasy.

When she played her favourite bands Sisters of Mercy and Bauhaus it brought her mind back to the seventies and eighties in which she lived her life so freely. She felt like she fitted in with society better back in those days. Although she had lived on earth for ninety years and had experienced a lot of different things in life she'd always looked back on those two decades with pride. No one cared that she was a vampire! They were all too busy being high on life and drugs, which she still favoured now.

She stood in front of her floor length mirror and admired herself. Damn she looked hot tonight, no man would be able to resist her in the tight black pvc mini dress she wore which revealed a little bit too much thigh. She laced up her patent black platform boots and applied a deep red lipstick in the mirror before she stroked Salem goodbye. He was asleep on the bed far away in kitty land most likely dreaming of catching fish or chasing mice.

She walked through the living room and passed Lydia on the way out. Her friend was sitting in front of her laptop typing out an essay, Elvira was glad that she didn't have to go through the stress of writing those anymore. Lydia had been attending university for two years studying pharmaceuticals and by her high praise of her class mates and tutor she loved every minute.

"I'll see you tomorrow Lyd. Don't work too hard." Elvira called as she headed out the front door.

"See ya then." Lydia didn't even look up from her laptop.

Their apartment was on the top floor of the ten story building and a long winding staircase led down to the ground floor. Elvira hated the distance she would have to walk with a passion, so instead she closed her eyes and willed herself downstairs.

Boom. There she was, standing in the dimly lit concrete hallway. A perk of being a vampire was transporting to anywhere you'd like. To some extent. Her sense of smell heightened as she inhaled the strong smell of skunk. She hadn't smoked a joint in a hot minute. It must be the Irish guys that lived on the ground floor. Both Ryan and Lydia had warned her away from those guys. Neither of them wanted a murder in their apartment block let alone one that was committed by their friend.

Lucky for Elvira when she stepped out into the world it was eight o'clock at night so the sky was pitch black and littered with stars. She wasn't very keen on going out in the daylight because she had to wear sunglasses and carry a parasol even if it was remotely sunny. The sunlight touching her skin wouldn't kill her but after an hour or so she would begin to tingle and burn which would result in great pain and severe scarring.

She pulled her leather biker jacket tighter around her shoulders as the crisp night air sent a chill through her bones, thankfully it was only a short walk to where The Hanging Bat was located.

The roads were busy tonight. People milled around street corners looking for others to sell drugs to and a beggar sat outside a shop pleading for money whilst a small group of men in dark clothing wolf whistled at Elvira as she sauntered past.

Little did these men know that she could ruin their lives as quickly as they could lower down their pants.

After quarter of an hour's walk Elvira reached her work. The Hanging Bat was hidden down a side street a little out of the way from the hubbub of the city.

Outside a pair of male bouncers stood talking as she approached, no one had started queuing yet as it was still early. They stopped and greeted her as she squeezed past them and entered the underground club.

She walked down the black staircase and turned left to the staff room and put her bag inside her locker. Afterwards she made her way to the main bar. The Hanging Bat was decades old and had a eerie vibe to it that Elvira loved. It was originally an underground vault that was abandoned and built upon centuries ago. The whole place was now set up to be like a dungeon with a dark and harrowing atmospheric feel. It had several different adjacent rooms off of the main bar which lead to other areas that were frequently used.

Two of her colleagues Bella and Donavon stood gossiping behind the dark bar that was lit up with green fairy lights that hung from the ceiling.

"But girl you do realise that Lana slept with Kaleb just before you?" Donavon exclaimed as he adjusted his baby pink baseball cap.

"Yeah I do Don but do you realise that you gave Ashton head that same night? It was after my birthday!" Bella laughed as she rearranged a few bottles of spirits.

Elvira made her way to the bar and exchanged pleasantries with the two.

At eleven the place was starting to get very busy. It was almost to it's full capacity and the underground lair became a haven for everyone who enjoyed dancing along to alternative music. Heavy metal pierced through the thick humid air as hundreds of people drank and jumped around to the rocking tunes. Beads of condensation dripped down from the ceiling that had built up over the years and bodies clashed against each other as they danced and swigged their drinks.

Elvira had been serving people for a few hours and was now on her second drink of whisky and coke. She was allowed to drink whilst working but not an extreme amount in which she could get too intoxicated.

She'd been having a laugh with Bella when the most handsome man she'd ever laid eyes on approached her at the bar.

He was tall, dark and as mentioned handsome. A thick beard hugged his face and he had piercing dark brown eyes. He gave Elvira a cheeky smile.

"Hey, can I get a black spiced rum?" His voice came out as smooth as velvet.

"Of course." She smiled sweetly and turned around to get his drink. As she did she bent down deliberately, she could feel his eyes settling on her butt.
She poured his drink and slid it across the bar to him. "That'll be seven dollars."

"Thank you. May I get you a drink too?" He winked and her heart fluttered with delight.

"You may. I get a break in ten minutes so meet me outside by the smoking area." She answered gleefully.

He nodded and disappeared into the sea of bodies. Elvira had a feeling she wasn't going to go hungry tonight.

Please vote and comment if you enjoyed this chapter! ⭐