Chapter 1

My wife lay peacefully in bed, fast asleep, her pale skin almost luminous in the early morning light. Cradling her against my body with her back pulled tight against my naked chest, I allowed my free hand to trace feather light patterns up and down her arm, memorising every contour, freckle and blemish on her soft flesh. As the cool path of my hand reached one of her naked breasts, leaving a trail of goosebumps in it's wake, I allowed myself to apply more pressure and watched with rapt awe and reverence as my fingers indented her form. Small purple areas of pigmentation appeared as the blood rose to the surface, threatening to bruise – highlighting just how inestimable and fragile she really was.

"Bruises like a peach doesn't she? Go on, give her a good squeeze to see what juice comes out."

The voice had reappeared, invading my thoughts and life on an almost continuous basis since Bella and I had arrived on Isle Esme. With his taunts becoming more vulgar and violent over the past week, I was undeniably concerned about the potential for him taking control once more. It had only happened one before, but that lapse in control resulted in my rebellious years where I turned against everything Carlisle had taught me. Human blood was once again on my menu, and it was only through the help of a minor miracle I managed to restrict my thirst to the violent, abusive and criminal underbelly. If 'The Monster' had had his way, I would have ripped my way through half of Chicago's polite society.

Blocking out all sound apart from the soft sound of Bella breathing, I concentrated on the beautiful creature in front of me: the woman who'd agreed to spend the rest of eternity with me. How did I ever become so lucky?

Today was the day we to seal our love physically. So why did it feel more like we were sealing her coffin? I had given my heart to Bella when we exchanged vows, but now she was giving me her body as I gave her the 'real honeymoon' she had longed for. The thought of being with the love of my existence absolutely filled me with both trepidation and an excitement I had never felt before.

Bella began to stir, waking me from my daydreams. Rolling over, she turned to face me with a sleepy grin on her face, and her eyes still half closed.

"Morning Mr Cullen," she greeted with a contented sigh as she snuggled into my side, and rested her head on my chest. Her chestnut hair was in complete disarray as the early morning sun highlighted the different shades in it.

"Morning Mrs Cullen," I replied. I was certain that was one thing I would never tire of. Bella would be 'Mrs Cullen' for the rest of our existence, and I would spend every day of that time making sure she never, ever, regretted saying 'I do'.

I swept my fingers lazily through her hair, trying to untangle some of the knots, as she wrapped her arm around my torso and entwined her legs with mine. "Sleep well?" I asked, receiving a quiet hum in return.

"Like a baby," she replied, leaning up on my chest to look at me. Her cheeks were flushed and her eyes had a dreamy quality to them, but all I could focus on was her breasts pushing against me. I could feel her nipples hardening with every gentle movement of them across the light smattering of hair on my chest.

"Babies don't snore," I joked, earning a small fist being pummelled into my sternum.

"It's a good job I'm invincible, you have got one hell of a jab on you." I joked. "A mere mortal would be left bruised and struggling to breathe I'm sure." I had a good idea what the mutt felt when he was punched for foolishly trying to kiss her - the first time of course. That second was a mere glitch with Bella not thinking straight.

Wrapping my arms around her, I dragged Bella on top of my body to prevent her hitting me too hard and breaking her hand, again. Sitting on my hips, I was fully aware of her proximity to my awakening penis. Bella's hands swept across my stomach and towards my nipples agonisingly slow, every move of her digits causing my muscles to clench in anticipation.