Rouge - Chapter Thirty-Six

The moment prom arrived, Hunter felt as if her dreams were becoming reality. Sure, she had a lot more on her mind than any other girl her age, but getting dressed up for Eli and celebrating the end of high school was well worth getting excited over.

The dress she wore was full length, flowing with chiffon material with a slit down the side. Silver diamantes spiraled around the hip where the back curved, revealing and very sexy. It was exactly her kind of dress. And it was white, which went beautifully with the messy up-style of her rich red hair. She borrowed Melissa’s black high-heeled pumps and some of her less provocative jewelry. It was lonely doing her own hair, and Hunter kept wishing her mother stood behind her holding the curling iron and telling her how beautiful she looked.

But when she came downstairs and found Eli waiting for her in a smart black tuxedo and red tie, all thoughts of her mother vanished. His eyes lit up like Christmas lights at the sight of her, and she blushed feverishly.

“You look like an angel,” Eli whispered, coming toward her and slipping the white corsage on her wrist, blooming with red roses. “I knew that dress would go perfectly with your hair.”

She twirled playfully for him. “You like?”

“I’d like more to rip it off you,” he replied with a wink and she opened her mouth in false shock. Oh how he had changed since the night they met.

“And for the final piece de resistance-” Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out her mother’s silver necklace. “I bought you a new chain after we broke the other one.”

“Thank you.” She turned around, staring at the pair of them in the hallway mirror.

As Eli attached the chain, he brushed a small kiss against the scar on her shoulder, giving Hunter goose bumps.  Behind his glasses, those green and brown eyes sparkled. “Get ready for the best night of your life,” he whispered and swept her into a passionate kiss.

Mr. Akerman came downstairs. “Limo’s here,” he grumbled. “Have a nice evening.”

“You too Mr. Akerman,” replied Hunter, for nothing, not even the hatred in Mr. Akerman’s eyes, could ruin her mood. “Don’t wait up for us.”

The first trace of a smirk crossed his lips. Eli took Hunter’s hand and guided her to the limo outside.

The air was warm and brushed Hunter’s loose curls around her neck as she climbed into the limo. Inside, there was non-alcoholic champagne and soft music playing. Eli slipped in beside her and they enjoyed the ride alone, laughing about Mr. Akerman’s reaction and school and life. Normal things that were rare and beautiful for Hunter.

The limo arrived at the Iris Hotel where seniors and their partners were already entering. The golden light from the lobby spilled onto the red carpet that had been set up for the prom and Eli and Hunter climbed the steps inside. Being their first public appearance together as an official couple, the two of them smiled and greeted some of Eli’s friends - all of which looked Hunter up and down in awe. She had never seen Eli so happy, and the grip he kept on her arm was so tight she couldn’t help but laugh inside.

They linked arms and lined up for photos, mingling with other students and marveling at the decorations inside the foyer and banquet hall where the prom was held. Silver and gold sparkled from every corner of the room, right down to the over-the-top chandeliers and balloons to the glittering confetti that covered the floors.

The prom was everything Hunter imagined it to be. She hardly noticed the stares, which were no longer disgusted. Her classmates now looked at her just like her customers at the restaurant; curious and sometimes even enthralled. Everyone was suspicious that she was the red-headed heroine who had run into the burning building. She was, after all, involved in Miss Smart’s rescue. They’d be blind not to put the pieces together.