Rouge - Chapter Thirty-Three

Jack kept his head down and his mind distracted as he stalked home through the dark streets. His bus took off down the road and turned at the corner of Park Avenue and East 79th Street. The apartment was just beyond that.

His heart was still racing from the conversation with Hunter. She could walk through fire. He knew someone who had a superpower. With a jig in his step, Jack thought about all the comics he kept in a box under his bed, of the sketches he drew in secondary school. He used to dream about dressing up in a black suit and mask, or climbing walls and shooting web from his wrists. Now, half his dream was coming true.

Hunter. Eli’s girlfriend. Jack could hardly contain his jealousy. How badly he wanted to be the one in her arms and not the best friend. A kiss on the cheek was nothing compared to what Eli was getting. Why Eli? What did he have that Jack didn’t?

Parents. A nice home. A promising future. The list could go on. Jack scowled at himself, wishing his life wasn’t so miserable and he had more to offer a girl like Hunter.

A taxi skidded past him and Jack cast a glance behind him. That was when he saw someone, about a yard back. He was shadowed and kept a pace just a little faster than his. Jack knew this neighborhood like the back of his hand, but it wasn’t normal for someone to follow him home.

Clutching his fears, Jack made a sharp turn down an alleyway on the opposite side of his building. If there was anyone following him, he wouldn’t let them know where he lived. Not when he couldn’t protect Clare on his own. 

He put his back against the scratchy wall and held his breath. The man turned the corner and Jack jumped in front of him. Light flashed haphazardly across his features. He was familiar, but not recognizable, with creepy eyes and really white teeth.

“What do you want?” he growled.

The man’s smile widened. “Jack Holloway, am I correct?”

Jack eyed him suspiciously. “Yeah … who are you?”

“That’s not important. I’d like a few words with you.” His eyes roamed over Jack as though he were an item of clothing he considered buying. The crazed look in his eyes was terrifying.

Oh no, Jack panicked, looking around and realizing they were alone. I’m going to be raped.

“Um, this is kind of a bad time … sir. I need to get home and cook dinner for my sister …”

The man let out a cackle so manic that Jack leapt back in surprise, cursing and falling back against the sidewalk.

“What the-”

“Oh Jack,” he sighed, wiping a tear from his eye. “I can tell you have a sense of humor.”

This guy is nuts, Jack panicked. And he knows my name.

“If this is about the rent, I promised Tony I’d pay as soon as I get the cheque from the government-”

“It’s not about rent,” he murmured in a deep, chilling tone. Fear started to leech from his skin and his limbs were becoming like Jello. “It’s about what you know.

“I don’t know anything, seriously!” Jack yelled. “I’m just a senior, I’m not even in the popular group at school!”

The stranger began to laugh louder, and the air around them went cold. Jack tensed his entire body, preparing for the knife to slice into his stomach. As he did, a bitter taste came into his mouth. There was something stirring inside him. Jack thought it might be vomit, but this was something different. Vomit was sticky and tangy and came from the pit of his stomach. This feeling was dark and toxic like poison.

Suddenly, a loud crash emanated from above them. Jack’s hands shot up as what looked like part of the fire escape came soaring down-

-directly toward the attacker’s head. The large metal chunk collided with something solid and a burst of blue blinded him. Jack’s hand whipped up to protect his eyes, and a gust of ice-cold air hit him full-force. He waited a few seconds before opening his eyes.

The man stood before him, his face alight with glee. The slab of metal that had fallen on top of him lay cast aside on the road, completely frozen in ice.

“Well isn’t this intriguing!” the stranger exclaimed, his eyes wide and bright like headlights.

Jack glanced at the metal and couldn’t understand what just happened. Did I do that? His blood was racing. He could no longer feel the damp concrete ground beneath him or smell the pungent trash.

“Please,” Jack begged, backing away on the sidewalk until he hit the brick wall. “Don’t kill me, I didn’t-”

The stranger raised his hand and blew against his palm directly at Jack’s face. Cold air passed into his lungs and suddenly, his throat constricted. He couldn’t speak, couldn’t breathe. He clenched at his neck and struggled madly on the concrete until the stranger was standing over him, chuckling psychotically.

“Oh Jack,” he whispered. “You have a lot to learn and no time to learn it in. Let’s go find a place to talk, shall we?”

The last thing he remembered was feeling cold to the very center of his being before all was black.