that moment when your life goes to hell

As far as jobs went, my mom's wasn't that bad.

        It paid well, guaranteed that my mom would be home with me 10 months of the year, the benefits were phenomenal and it was actually a pretty rad gig because of the people I was able to meet and befriend.

        But just because I could acknowledge the pros of her job and appreciate them didn't mean I liked her job very much.

        I hated it.

        If my mom had the opportunity to choose a different job with the same benefits and pay, I would be all over it. I would sell my soul if it meant that she wouldn't have this job anymore.

        But alas, that's not an option and probably never will be.

        So I'm stuck for the next 5 months dealing with it with a forced smile and held back attitude. Just until college came around. 

        "Isn't it exciting Maya? I cannot believe they're staying at our place! We have to make sure it's clean and presentable and -"

        I cut off her rambling with a trained laugh. I make sure to crinkle the area by my eyes so she can't sense my irritation and scold me. "And make it a place they won't regret having to stay at. Mom we've been doing this for years. We're practically pros," I say adding in the expected eye roll.

        The amount of acting I had to put on for my mom was ridiculous.

        She smiles at me sheepishly. "Sorry My, I'm just really worried over these clients. We've never had people this famous before and I just want to make a good impression with them," she says throwing the blanket over the mattress. "Grab the other end will you?"

        I scowl and grab a corner of the blanket to tuck into the bed frame. I hate setting up for them to come. It always took a hell of a lot of work.

        It also didn't help that both my mother and I were absolute perfectionists.

        "Who's coming anyways? Is it Kylie and Kendall and them again?" I ask smoothing down the blanket.

        Her mouth curves up into an impish grin. "That's a surprise," she sings.

        I shoot her a look. "Mom," I say dragging it out. Why couldn't she just tell me?

        If possible, her smile widens. "I want it to be a surprise!"

        "Well I don't."

        "Too bad."

        I follow her around the room most likely resembling a puppy. Especially with the whiny look on my face. "But I have to know! What if they're a bunch of horn dogs? I need to know if I need to lock my underwear drawer again. And if I'll need some spare condoms," I grin at the last one, narrowly missing the hand that flies out to hit my head. "Kidding, kidding. I wouldn't have sex with them." I pause. "Well depends how long they're staying. I might if it's a long time."

        At the flat look in my mom's eyes, I can't help the laugh that comes out. "Someone's irritable today," I tease poking her.

        It was probably a good thing that for the last 15 years it's just been my mom and I. Our relationship probably wouldn't be as comfortable as it is now if we hadn't dealt with all our shit with only each other as support.

        Which is the sole reason why I'm not giving my mom complete hell for housing some clients for an indefinite amount of time.

        Ah the sacrifices of a teenage daughter.