Chapter 10

"Aren't you excited?" My mother squealed.

   I look up to the kitchen ceiling, silently praying.

   Oh God. Please, kill her.

   Now.

   Jason looked up from his breakfast and smiled. "Yes, Mrs. Devin."

   "I'm just so happy for you! I guarantee that the football coach is going to just love you and..." She babbled on while I watched Jason eat his waffles.

   "Jennifer? Jennifer... Jennifer!" I looked up to my mother, a little startled. Whoa, I guess I had spaced out for a second.

   "What?" I asked confused.

   She stepped away from the stove and laid a warm hand against my forehead. Her blue eyes were worried. "Are you okay, sweetheart? You're acting weird... Why aren't you eating?" She looked down at my empty plate.

   "Uh.... I ate a lot at the party last night." I bit my bottom lip, praying that my stomach wouldn't decide to growl at that moment.

   I caught a glimpse of Jason's eyes and I knew what he was thinking.

   Liar.

   Of course, he knew that it was a lie. I spent the whole time at the party around him and he didn't see me eat once. The last time I ate was Saturday afternoon, and it was now Monday morning. I was determined to teach Justin a lesson so I was cutting back on the food. I wasn't fat but I wasn't model skinny either. I wasn't trying to make myself stick skinny but getting rid of the little chubbiness on my tummy would be nice.

   My mom pestered me with concerned questions the whole way to school.

   Jason sat in the front seat while I sat in the back. I scrolled through my phone, absentmindedly. I shot down all of my mother's worried comments but when she brought up the word doctors, I knew it had gone to far.

   "Mom. I'm. Fine." I said each word slowly and clearly. I rolled my eyes when she finally accepted it.

   "Have a good day guys." My mother said while Jason and I left the car and walked onto the school campus.

   I looked at Jason and he was staring at me while we walked side by side. I gave him a questioning look and he snickered.

   "The Princess is going to show the new guy around, huh?" He laughed.

   I rolled my eyes. "Oh Jason," I sighed. "You honestly have no idea what you are getting yourself into."

   He smiled at that. "You think I can't handle it?"

   "I didn't mean the schoolwork, even though it is something to question. I meant these girls. They are going to be throwing themselves at you left and right." Even though I was smiling, my heart ached at the thought.

   He raised an eyebrow. "Would the Princess be one of those girls?"

   I tried to stop myself from blushing but it was a lost cause. "Not even in your wildest dreams."

   I pointed out the way to Jason's classroom. I would have walked him to it but I didn't want to look like his mom. And plus, I was going to be late to my first period. Once I said goodbye to Jason, I was running down the hallway. I heard him laugh as I left.

   First and second period went by in a haze but third period was obnoxiously slow. In the first five minutes Matt and I were arguing. But that was becoming normal.