Chapter Three

Harold types on numerous buttons on the key pad beside the big door getting the door to automatically slide open showing off the immense amount of space in the room ahead. Harold coaxes me in after Dominic walks through the door before us. I slowly walk in and take in the view of the interior. The room is huge with comfy furniture and long intricately designed rugs along the floor. The various doors are labeled with details on where they lead to, probably a measure taken so there is no excuse for ending up in the wrong room. I walk over to the large puffy couch and feel my hand slowly along the soft cushion before trying it out by sitting down. I slowly sink in then sigh, it's so very comfortable. Harold looks at me then smiles.  

"You like it here already eh?" I nod slowly in response, it's homely. I look around and realize Dominic is not here.  

"Dominic likes to do his own thing. He has his own room right over there right as you come in." He explains then points to the door on the side of the wall that you can see if you come in and turn to your right. I hesitate then walk over to the room as the door slides open then shuts behind me. The room is lightly lit creating shadows in the corners. I see Dominic hunched over in a corner making little noises, shuffling papers. I slowly walk over, weaving through the various objects and pieces of clothes on the ground and kneel beside him. He is reading a newspaper, covered with various pictures and millions of words reporting about the current issue of depletion of pets and etcetera. Are they really getting so worried about having no pets in this world? I break off my thinking when I feel his eyes on me. I freeze then slowly sit down beside him on the floor glancing away looking at the walls of the room.  

"There have been more and more kidnappings of pets as the days go on." Dominic states as he keeps his eyes on the newspaper. I glance over his shoulder to look at the newspaper and search for any story that has information on how major a concern this situation could be. Not much is there about the kidnappings, just images of lost and missing pets with descriptions, asking for creatures to call if they see them.  

"How do you know they have been kidnapped?" I ask, glancing up at Dominic.  

"This many pets are never missing all at once. They have been kidnapped Elsie, and I fear we might be next." He answers under his breathe. I look down at my lap and take slow breathes. Next? I don't want to be kidnapped especially not after I just barely settled in here.  

"What do we do?" I choke out with fear. Dominic grasps my shoulders in his hands and looks me in the eyes.  

"Stay calm." He responds, keeping his eyes on mine and then slowly dropping his hands. He changes the subject. "Your room is past the front door right across from mine. Harold has been looking forward to you coming here, he gets lonely very quickly but he's a good creature. Go ahead and get accustomed to your room and then be ready for dinner in the evening." He turns his face away and back to the newspaper. He looks just like he did when he was at Scyth's house, quiet and stiff, as if we haven't even had the previous conversation. I slowly stand up and exit the room. Harold is not in the living room, he must have gone into one of the other rooms. I cross the room to enter my new room, ready to lie in my bed and sneak in a nap. 

                                                                   * * *

I wake up to the noise of a thud and screeching of furniture legs. I look quickly around my room scanning over the blue walls and the wooden dresser lightly decorated with little flowers and the chest at the end of my bed. I slide off the hover bed to the floor and crawl slowly next to the door hugging close to the wall. I may be overreacting but it can't hurt to be cautious with those types of suspicious noises while kidnappings have been occurring. I truly hope it isn't something bad, but if it is, then I hope I make it out of here safe.