Ch.1 ~ Rainbow-Fueled Apple

Chapter 1

   Molly B. Smith was an ordinary, little plain girl. She had plain brown eyes and dull, short, brown hair. If you turn away from her now, you won’t remember her face after ten minutes.

   You’re probably wondering, ‘Why would we be talking about such a boring girl if this story is about Charlie?’ Well, that part comes later on in the story.

   Even though Molly looked like a boring skinny girl, she certainly didn’t act like one. Her imagination was wild, and her creativity was endless. Also, Molly was very adventurous. Every morning, Molly liked to climb the trees in the woods next to her house.

   “Mum!” she called one morning to her mother. “I’m going to the woods!”

   Her mother, who was also normal but a kind lady, said back, “OK, Molly!”

   “Ugh, I don’t want my name to be Molly,” Molly thought to herself. “It’s too girly.”

   The little girl jumped out of the front door of her house and ran toward the woods. She passed several bushes and flowers and trees while she ran. All these trees were too short and boring to climb. Molly wanted something adventurous. Something exciting for once.

   Molly went deeper into the woods, deeper than she had ever went before. The she saw it.

   A tree. Taller than all the other trees in the woods. Taller than any tree she had ever seen in her life. It had big roots that stuck out of the ground and went back down into the dirt. A large, thick trunk five times Molly’s width held it like a tower. Huge leaflets hung high in the tree. And when Molly looked up, she couldn’t even see the top, because that’s how high the tree was.

   It was magnificent.

   So Molly B. Smith climbed the tallest tree in the woods. She went up, up, up, till her little arms and legs hurt from swinging from branch to branch. Molly felt so tired in fact, that she decided to sit on a branch for a bit before continuing her way up.

   While she huffed and puffed, trying to catch her breath, Molly saw a shiny red apple hanging from a thin stem in front of her. She reached out for it, but it was a little too high. So Molly got up on her knees and reached out, but it was just a little higher. All she needed to do was stand for a second and quickly grab the big, juicy apple…

   “Gotcha!” Molly successfully took the apple off the stem, feeling very proud of herself as she stood on the branch. She was just about to take a big bite out of the middle of the apple.

   Crack!

   Uh-oh. She stopped. That was not the sound of her munching on the apple. It was the branch, breaking under Molly’s weight. Molly looked down at the ground below her and trembled. She was very high up. If she fell now, she didn’t know if she could get back up.

   But the branch didn’t care. It broke in half, and Molly went down, the apple still in her hands.

   “Help!” Molly B. Smith looked at the apple, the only thing that could hear her now. “Help me, Apple!”

   “Don’t worry, Molly,” the apple whispered back to her, eyes and a kind smile popping onto its side. “I’m a magic apple. I’ll help you get to the top of the tree. You’ll love it up there.”

   Then, true to its words, the magic apple smiled a warm smile at Molly and told her, “Hold tight.” The apple closed its eyes shut, and suddenly rainbow fuel came out of its butt. The rainbow fuel made Molly and the apple fly up high. So high, Molly thought as she watched the branches whiz past her flying form.

   Then Molly stopped flying, and her sandaled feet touched soft, leafy ground. The apple crinkled the ends of its big happy eyes. It said, “We’re at the top of the tree.”

   Molly looked around. Funny, it didn’t look like the top of a tree. Well, it certainly didn’t look like the tops of all the other trees she had climbed before. And take it from me, Molly B. Smith had climbed a lot of trees before.

   Underneath Molly’s feet, the ground was flat and covered with wide, green leaves. From every direction, just a ground covered in leaves. When Molly tried to see her house (just like how she always did when she climbed a tree) she couldn’t find it. In fact, she couldn’t find anything. Everything in a distance faded into a white fog.

   “But…” Molly was confused. “What do I do now?” she asked.

   “Well,” the apple replied, still smiling. Molly was beginning to think the only thing it could do was smile. “For starters, you can put me down and I’d be quite happy. Oh yes, thank you. Now, there’s not much I can do since I’m just an apple. No legs or arms as you can see. I’m just going to rest comfortably here on the ground for the rest of my days. But if you need help, ask the guardian that stands over there.”

   Molly looked around. At their far right stood a short person standing next to a birch tree.

   “Well, what do you know,” Molly said. “A tree on top of a tree!” She gave one last glance to the apple that saved her life before waving and jogging towards the short man. “Thank you, Mr. Apple!”

   “No problem!” it shouted back. “By the way, I’m Jerry!”

   “Bye, Jerry!”

   As usual, Jerry smiled.