Prologue//Lion&Pray

High school is like a zoo composed of wild animals. Although we often hate to admit it, there are two main stereotypical groups: the popular and the non-popular.

In a zoo, the animals that people least want to visit are the Microscopic frogs that barely do anything. However, people often miss judge them and are unaware of their cleverness, almost like the downgraded kids in high school.

Then there are the most admirable animals that kids from around beg to see, such as the Lions, also known as the popular in high school terms. Although they may look tough and intimidating on the outside, a lions intention is to only protect themselves and the ones they love.

If that is so, could somebody please explain to me if the populars at my school are trying to protect themselves with the ones they love? Because it seems to me that they are all egotistic human beings that care more about their reputation then how their words and actions affect others.

As I enter the red and brown brick main building at roughly 7 oclock in the morning, the air reeked of stupidity. It could have been just me, though, because I did not normally have all of my senses functioning at the crack of dawn. I surfed through the crowds of hormonal teenagers and found my way to my locker. Spotting a wavy, dark brown- haired girl with beading blue eyes, I knew it could have only been Nicole.

Hey Elle, she greeted three gleam. I applauded her so somehow always being so smiley at such an early time in the day, while I,on the other hand, miss the comfort of my own bed to easily. listen, did you hear about the Suave brothers?

The Suave brothers were the peak of the mountainous high school, the head of the lion pack. The girls yearned for them in the boys desired to be them. They were quite appealing to be off from what I seen, even though I only caught glances of them during lunch or around the corridors. The eldest brother, Ethan Suave, what is a junior Mike Nicole and myself, and Devon Suave was only a sophomore. Ill admit, they were awfully attractive, and their last names to do both of them. Suave.

I spun the lock on my locker in swift movements. "Not yet. What happened? Did one of them actually stick to one girl for once?" I laughed at my own joke, and Nicole could not help but curve the tips of her lips upward.

"No, shut up," she playfully yelled. "I heard Ethan spotted his next prey." Nicole wiggled her eyebrows out of suspicion.

Another detail about the Suave brothers was that they were extremely spoiled kids who knew what they wanted and got what they wanted no matter what obstacle stood in their way, especially when it came to girls. Each month or so, they got a new girl wrapped around their fingers. After they got what they wanted from her, they would dump the poor girl and leave her standing out in the cold with no regrets. Then it was on to the next girl. Heartless people if you ask me.

"Not again," I sighed. "Poor girl. Who is it this time?" I really felt for these girls and suffered to see them the next day after the boys were done with them; each girl looked droopy-eyed and on the verge of tears. I had questioned how a simple boy could drastically affect a girl like that, but I had learned to keep quiet over the years. Questioning it would not have stopped it.

"Nobody knows. I just heard around the halls when I passed the popular crew." She wrapped air quotes around the words popular crew. "One of them said, 'Ethan told me himself that he found the next girl, but this one is different. She's not like one of us.' Then they all laughed," Nicole responded. "Whoever it is next, I hope they don't fall for the boy's charm, like how I did." She wrapped her arms around her chest and frowned.

Nicole had been a victim herself, personally by Devon. Devon and his brother did the same routine each time: stole the girl's heart and returned it in just a month, beaten and broken. Since February had commenced, it was due for both brothers to choose a new victim. I was surprised that they had not done the entire school's female population yet.