Co-Existence

Disclaimer: If I say that the younger Professor X, portrayed by James McAvoy is mine, would you believe me?

A/N: This chapter was inspired by the What If? Comic, Magneto & Professor X Formed X-Men Together. The changes in the story line was brought by Magneto saving Gabrielle Haller who in turn stopped him from killing his mortal enemy by telling him that if he kills then he would not be any different from the Nazis they've encountered as children. This change in perspective would help in his choice of helping out Professor X in his endeavors. In my story however, Magneto would save her from being captured by the Palestinian when he escaped capture from Taliban war laboratories. This is a retelling of the majority of the events of X-Men First Class.

---------------------------------------

Co-Existence

---------------------------------------

Days progressed with Kelly feeling left out. She never realized how much of her free time is spent with Charles until he started spending it being busy convening with the Division X. To fill up her time, she spent it focusing on applying for graduate studies, deciding on pursuing advanced courses in biology with a minor in genetics, deviating from her broader general science course. As Charles and Eric sought out their fellow mutants, she started spending time with Hank McCoy, the scientist with prehensile feet and later on with the other mutants Charles and Eric brought back. Though not a mutant, Eric Lehnsherr left Gabrielle Haller within the compounds of Division X for safety. But Kelly found her too depressing to spend a lot of time with. Kelly chose to spend her time within Division X reading the agent's minds. She felt uneasy with their scorn and sometimes even their fears. She really felt that staying here wasn't the best idea. She squashed down those feelings and instead sought out the help of Hank McCoy in determining what makes the physiology of mutants different from homosapiens.

Her research brought her to a complex gene that seems a similar genetic anomaly with the blood samples she got from Beast, Charles and even Eric who was at first reluctant to give her a blood sample but relented when she told him her reason for studying their blood was that she wanted to find out about the source of mutation. As they recruited other mutants into the program, she also asked for their blood sample. Hank meanwhile was finding the "cure" for mutation. Kelly did not really like this idea, Hank asked her not to talk about it to others particularly with Eric Lehnsherr who found pride in his being special because of his mutation.

When the two were able to recruit Raven Darkholme, Kelly was fascinated with what she and Hank found in Raven's blood. Hank figured that somehow, Raven's blood is the blueprint and therefore the answer to curing mutation. Kelly left him to his own research while she focused on her studies in the complex gene she found. She approached Charles with her discovery and together they traced the characteristics and created theories on how this gene came to be. Kelly was happy to have Charles studying with her again but Moira had to cut in on their time again as she shared the intelligence of Shaw's activities and how they would be having a meeting with the higher ups to bring in Charles and Eric. Gabrielle Haller insisted on coming, nothing Eric or Charles said could dissuade her but as Kelly geared to argue, Charles told her off. 'Please stay here. Continue working on your research.' Charles urged her. 'Ours.' She corrected Charles irritably. Charles smiled as he hugged her and kissed her on top of her head. 'Ours...' He thought back to her consolingly kissing her temple.

'It doesn't feel like it's still ours anymore Charles.' Kelly thought to herself sadly as she watched Charles walk away.

---------------------------------------

Using Charles' abilities of creating illusion, they were able to go through check-points without being harassed. But upon arriving at the general's residence, they found out that Shaw will not be coming and in his stead was Emma Frost, the psychic they encountered when they first came upon Eric. Moira McTaggert had not wanted to help out Eric Lehnsherr as he rushed inside to get information from Emma Frost on Shaw's plans and whereabouts.

Charles merely said that he cannot leave Eric alone and ran after him. It was just as well that he managed to catch up on Eric as it took the two of them to be able to subdue Emma who was in her diamond form. Eric almost killed Emma with the frame of the bed until Charles stopped him with the logic that they need her alive for information. Emma shifted from her diamond form out of fear. It was from her mind that they were able to glean the Shaw planned to start a World War III and promote mutant ascendancy. Eric understood the desire, and understood that they were in danger from humans while Charles were horrified at the destruction that Shaw was ready to unleash.

---------------------------------------

Meanwhile, back at the Division X, the mutants felt ill at ease at the agents and soldiers jeering. Kelly sighed and pretended to ignore them as she typed away on her laptop at she read the information she was able to gather but was miffed when one of the agents insulted Raven and Angel, asking them to perform for the agents.

"Hey Geoffrey! Didn't your mother use to turn tricks on the streets? At least none of us got fucked for a couple of dollars." She shouted back at the insulting agent. The mutants roared in laughter while the agent's companion laughed at him. He threw a piece of stone on the glass before shouting "Freaks!" at them. "Oooh! He pissed off the princess..." Alex cheered. Kelly sighed and returned to her laptop.

"So what's your deal, Kelly?" Alex asked. "I'm a telepath. My depth of power is not as powerful as Charles' but I can read at the wider range. I can also heal other people at a touch." She replied automatically without looking up from her laptop. The other mutants started asking and comparing powers while Raven closed Kelly's laptop. "Hey! I haven't saved that yet!" She protested. Raven smirked and ignored her.

"We should think of code names. We're government agents now. I wanna be called Mystique." Raven announced. As she forced Kelly to sit down and join them in their circle. "Damn, I wanna be called Mystique!" Sean Cassidy complained. "Well, tough. I called it." Raven said before transforming into Sean Cassidy. "And, I'm way more mysterious than you." Raven continued in Sean's voice before transforming back to herself. The rest of them almost jumped out of their skin, then clapped their hands after their initial shock.

"Darwin, what about you?" Kelly asked, her attention finally caught. "Well, "Darwin" is already a nickname, and, you know, it sort of fits. Adapt to survive and all. Check this out." Darwin said before sticking his head inside the aquarium and automatically developed gills. They all cheered.

They later on went through with the rest of the mutant's powers from Sean Cassidy who was able to emit incredibly strong ultrasonic screams, sonic blasts, sonic bursts, and sonic waves, who wanted to be called Banshee to Angel Salvador who has dragonfly wings and acidic saliva. They also discussed Hank's prehensile feet and Raven teased Alex about his small feet. When it came to Alex Summers though he felt hesitant in showing off his powers. He was cheered on by the rest. "I'd like to see what your mutation is."

He smiled at Kelly before proceeding to demonstrate his power. He frowned at the rest and placed his drink on the table. "Get back when I tell you to." He half muttered. The rest peered at what he was doing. "Get back!" He shouted again. But when they remained peering he just muttered. "Whatever..." Then he proceeded to launch his power and broke the statue in half, the rest, with the exception of Kelly cheered afterwards. "They're going to kill us! You shouldn't have slashed that statue in half." Kelly reprimanded.

"Get that stick out of your ass!" Angel called out to her. "You're too busy worshiping Charles Xavier to live a little." Angel scorned. "No, I just don't like destruction of public property that tax payers paid for." Kelly replied as she grabbed her laptop and walked off to work in another room.