Chapter 16

Chapter 16

August 15 2002; 12:00 am

Echo stood straight as she took in her surroundings once more. She knew she wouldn’t have been able to see anything if it weren’t for the full moon shinning.

She was in her backyard.

In front of her was the Lake; the one that had destroyed her life forever. She hated the Lake. But she couldn’t help it; she had to see it again. The lure it had on her.

Echo never really figured out what was wrong with the Lake, or why it was so still, but she’d never be able to find out.

She took a step toward the Lake, and took in a breath when her feet met the water. Suddenly there were waves and she saw a picture before her.

Jeremy’s smile; his laughter, and Echo yearned to reach out to the fantasy but she knew it would disappear. That there would be nothing left for her; nothing left of Jeremy.

This was her only escape from a future of heart ache. It was the only notion she could think of, but somehow this didn’t involve thinking. It was a matter of feelings.

So she lifted up her white nightgown, knowing it was going to get wet in the end, but didn’t care anymore. The sand was soft, as it had been before; the first time. But this time she wasn’t afraid.

The water was warm and inviting, she savored every small step as she got deeper. The ripples were now bigger waves and Echo wondered how no one heard the roar of them. Her steps brought her closer to her destination.

She kept walking. No more thinking was involved, now all she did was feel; the water trickling down on her skin, the full moon shining on her, the sound of the waves as they anticipated her arrival.

Then suddenly she was gone.

Her body disappearing beneath the water. There was nothing left. The waves soothed, now only small ripples, the water almost still. The wind was only a whisper.

There was no hint of Echo, only the silent night.

Echo was gone.

Now, the moon only shinned.