Chapter 1

Chapter 1

June 15, 2001

Echo looked at the Lake in the back of their six-bedroom house. They had just moved here and she couldn't keep her eyes off the Lake. Two girls had gone missing in that Lake. It was a death trap and Echo knew it. That's why she kept her distance, that's why she watched carefully as her little brother and elder sister play in the Lake.

She had already begun to hate it. She couldn't help it.

Now you may be thinking that this Lake might have a gator in it, maybe that's why the two girls had gone missing. But when the Animal Control people came by, the gates covering the tunnels were secure, nothing was amiss. They searched the entire Lake. No bodies. No gators. Nothing. Not even a gar. Which would have been reasonable; if you allowed it.

But no, nothing was wrong with this Lake. So why did two young girls' body disappear? Why couldn't they be found?

Why? Why? Why?

Echo desperately tried to grasp for an answer. But that was the problem. There wasn't an answer.

"Oh c'mon, Echo! It's fun" Jeremy, her little brother called out to her, but Echo put on her best smile and shouted out; "I'm sorry, baby, I'm not in the mood to swim"

"She's too scared." Angel whispered in Jeremy's ear loudly, Jeremy giggled.

"That's crazy!" Jeremy shrieked.

"Shall we find out?" Angel asked mischievously, as Jeremy protested, Angel grabbed him playfully and he shrieked.

Echo smiled faintly.

"C'mon guys! Grandma's going be here in a few minutes!" Genevieve called out; their mother. Angel and Jeremy exited the Lake, heading for the patio to clean-up and shower. Gen looked at her middle daughter.

"What's wrong, Echo?" she asked quietly, but Echo never took her eyes from the Lake.

"I don't understand why they don't use the pool we have." Echo shrugged, finally looking at her mother. "The Lake is dangerous."

"No, honey. They had so many people check the lack; there is nothing to be scared about. The gates are secure. You're just worked up about the two girls. They were young girls, they might have run away." Gen suggested.

"But it doesn't make sense." Echo objected "They were seen in the Lake, by their mother, and they were gone the next minute." Gen sighed.

"Don't worry about it. Your brother and sister are good swimmers. Come and help me inside. Dad's almost here" Gen walked back into the patio, but Echo hesitantly left; looking back one more time at the Lake.