15.Bruiser Billy

"You know one day you're gonna run into someone bigger and stronger than you right?"
"Yeah" , Billy replied expressionlessly with his head between his knees . A small stream of blood  drizzled from his mouth onto the hot concrete.
"So maybe we should learn how to talk with our words not our hands,hmm Billy?"
"My names Bruiser."
She blinked quickly for a few seconds
"Well last time I checked your name was Billy Olsen. What would your mother think if she saw you now?"
He held back long overdue tears. He always thought of his sisters standing around him mocking him to help keep himself from crying.
"Soldiers don't cry" he could hear his father say in his head . "Only pussys do."
He took a deep breathe
"I'm ready to go back inside now," he said continuing to stare at the blood stained concrete
"Oh Billy..." she said looking into the distance and shaking her head
"This is the third time this week," she said as she leaned over and clasped her hands.
"Howard is on his way"
She noticed his breathing changed when she said his name . It became heavier but short.
Billy looked up to the long winding round leading away from the private school. If he started running now he could probably be in the next town by the time his stepdad got here.
He thought about for a split second but knew his dad would find him and punish his sisters for it.
He took a deep breathe, stood up and wiped his mouth.
She glared up at him with a half smile .
"Tell Howard I'll be waiting for him in the Principals office Ms. Patterson" Billy said wiping half-dry blood on his pants.
"You know you can always talk to me Billy..." she said without breaking eye contact. Her smile disappeared. Ms.Patterson was the guidance counselor at New Light Private School.
Billy said nothing as he did a 180 and  headed back towards the double doors leading to the main hallway.
"That's not my name," he said when he reached the double doors . He paused for a moment then disappeared inside .
"Bruiser Billy," she said under her breathe once she was sure he couldn't hear her . She exhaled heavily as if she had emerged from being underwater. She could sense a darkness growing in Billy. He fought more with his hands than he ever spoke since him and his older sister started at the school last fall.Their stepdad worked for the FBI but you could tell the man kept secrets beyond government intel.

Howard slammed his right hand on the steering wheel as he drove down the highway. If he gripped the steering wheel with his left hand any tighter he'd probably break it off the car. He continued to slam the steering wheel as he came to a stop at the red light . He ignored  the other drivers that were staring at him . He stopped when he heard his phone notification go off. His pinky and ring finger went numb. His forehead was red and covered in sweat. He picked the phone up in his sweaty palm as the light turned green.He almost dropped it
*He's waiting in Principle Fishers' office. Can we speak before you talk to him please?*
"No,No,No!" Howard shouted as he started slamming the steering wheel with his other hand. He pressed the gas pedal as hard as he could.
Howard was a very private man. His reputation meant more to him than his own kids. He was fully aware he had a short temper. You had to have one in his line. He left patience to the people that worked under him. He thought private school would be beneficial to his kids as his parents did the same. His father was never around so he made sure he was involved with his kids every way that he could . He admitted he never felt a connection with them like he did with their mother. He only felt some bond with his oldest daughter Jessica. He never understood why she looked up to him but anytime the other two children did something he could always rely on her to tell the truth. She was in charge of the two youngest kids. Which made it easy for him to stay late at work when it was required.
Howard pulled in front of the limestone school. He knew he wasn't supposed to and the staff complained for the first few months about it. But they eventually gave up once they got to know Howard. It could also be because he told them he could find information on anyone as far back as their teen years. He could ask for a parking space exclusive to him if he wanted to.

Howard jumped out of the driver side of his Dodge Charger and slammed the door behind him.He left the car running, he wanted to be in and out as fast as possible. He threw the left double door open that lead into the long hallway that was covered in colorful children's art. He saw Ms.Patterson waiting at the intersection at the end of the hall with her arms crossed with her usual exhausted but constant analyzing look on her face. Her expression changed to a half smile once she saw Howard. They'd been seeing each other for about 6 months since Howard's wife died . At least that's how Ms.Patterson saw it . Howard only saw her as a means to relieve stress and she was helpful when he got in trouble with the school. He found it best to keep her believing this would turn into something more but it wouldn't.
"Howard," she said looking up at Howard with a smile that showed bright white teeth.
"Grace," he said towering over her. He was a good foot taller than her. She bit her bottom lip and leaned in.
"Youuu sir didn't respond to my text," she said with hopefully eyes.
He crossed his arms and exhaled quickly
"Well you know they say,don't text and drive," he responded almost immediately. He scanned the hallways making sure there were no other teachers around.
"What did Billy do this time?" Howard said rubbing the bridge of his with his thumb and pointer finger.
"I haven't gotten the full story yet...but from what I've collected Dylan tried to cut in front of Billy in the lunch line. Billy wasn't having it. Words were exchanged. Dylan said something about Billy's mother. You can guess the rest." She said never breaking eye contact with Howard. He hated when she did that he felt like she could see through his bullshit. It made him feel vulnerable.
"Yeah yeah," he said looking pass her towards the door that had a *Principles Office" sign above it.
He took another deep breathe.
"How long will he be suspended this time?" He said staring down at his polished dress shoes.
"Howard, this is the third time this week. Last time he broke a students arm because he took his hat and before that it was..."
"I know I know," he said cutting her off and clinching his fist.
"He has a short temper. But I've tried everything Grace. Therapy, the Big Brother Big Sister Program, sports, everything. Nothing sticks with him." He said grinding his teeth.
"Hey," she said rubbing his left shoulder. "I know you're trying your best . It can't be easy with three kids by yourself. Have you tried martial arts? Dylan is twice the size of Billy and Billy barely got touched.Dylan is in the nurse office right now with a black eye and chipped tooth. My cousin has this affordable place on Perkins Blvd."she said with enthusiasm.
"I don't know," Howard said while rubbing the back of his neck.
"I think it'll be good for him. Give him something to take his anger out on and it's 25% off with every additional kid." She said with her head tilted slightly sideways.
"Most importantly it'll give you a break from them and us more time together." She said with a big grin on her face.
"As great as that sounds you know I've been working overtime since two people quit at work. Maybe you could take them. They love you ." He said wincing her eyes waiting for her to say no
She quickly broke eye contact and stared at her open toe shoes. She shook her head with a even bigger smile on her face.
"You know what take me to dinner tomorrow night and you got yourself a deal." She said biting her lips again.

Billy sat in the middle padded chair in the Principles Office. He was so quiet you could heard the ticking of the second hand on the clock . Principle Fisher was filling the incident report . Fisher was a heavy set man. A former Olympic weightlifter. His career path changed when he tore his knee.It made him a very cautious man. Fisher shirts were always covered in sweat year round. No matter if it was hot or cold . Billy wished he'd listen to that little voice that told him to run.