Chapter One

I sighed happily and stretched out on my stomach. The soft green shoots of grass swayed from the breeze all around me.

"Aiyana, it's so beautiful here, isn't it?" I turned to see my older sister propped up on her elbows. She smiled serenly at me.

"It is," She agreed. I turned so that I was on my back and breathed in the scent of fresh spring. Everything was so peaceful. I guess since this is my story that I should tell you about me. For one thing, I have a sister named Nara. She's twenty and I'm sixteen. Oh, and we have powers. 

Yes, people, powers. I have no idea why we're like this. It makes no sense. Our parents were nothing special. I mean of course they were special, I think. I don't remember anything about them, but everybody's special, right? It's just that not everyone are.....magically special. 

Our parents died when I was six and Nara was ten. I still have nightmares from that night, even though I don't really remember anything. I remember one thing though, red eyes flashing in my vision, and the light catching on a gleaming set of fangs. That  image still makes me shake in fear.

So, I suppose we should tell you our powers. Let you have some sort of insight. I can move things with my mind. Yes, freaky. A lot of people already have ran away from me because of that. Nara can turn things to ice, and heat stuff up. So she knows how to control ice and fire. Sort of. Let's just say she kind of knows how to control temperatures in objects. No matter how big or small.

I blinked up at the tree branches covered in beautiful green leaves. I willed them to sway and they did, with leaves floating down and everything. Nara laughed. I smiled at her and sat up.

Ever since our parents died we were on the run from social workers and orphanages. I definitely hate the idea of orphanages. They're just too..crowded for my liking.

I looked around and adjusted my shirt. It was covered up in grime, as was my jeans. Nara watches me.

"We definitely need more clothes," She declared standing up.

"Yup," I agree, plucking some dried mud off of my shirt absently.

"Maybe we can stop by the mall later," She smiles mischeivously down at me. I look up at her in exasperation.

"Shoplifting again?" I groan. Even though it's for our survival, I hate stealing things from innocent people. Nara nods and runs off.

I groan again and take off after her. Both of us are pretty fit, considering we've been living in a forest full of big and scary things nearly our whole lives. Not as fun as it seems. Fending off mosquitos is way more harder than fending off bears or wolves. All I have to do is will a branch to hit them and then we're safe. But mosquitos are way more smaller.

Nara stopped in the grove of trees behind the mall. We both peered around trees looking for anyone. This was not going to be pretty. Two filthy girls with torn clothing is never a pretty sight.

I shook my normally long blonde hair, now light brown because of dirt, and walked out. Nara stepped in front of me, the best older sister anyone could ask for.

We walked into the mall, enduring the stares that everyone shot at us. To be honest it was really annoying. I would feel flattered if I was clean and wearing intact clothing but now, ugh. We finally found a JC Penny's store and walked in with all the dignity that we could muster. Nara was almost squealing with joy. Even though she's twenty, looking for clothes makes her behavior that of a preteen.

I looked around choosing a a pair of dark jeans, two short skirts, a tanktop, a hot pink tight shirt, and a tight jacket. Nara looked over at what I was holding and smiled approvingly. Seriously, she must be the queen of all fashion. Now was the time to do something no one else should.