Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Screams echoed around the hall and I gripped Scorpius arm, clamping my mouth shut. I can hear people whispering, and rustling.

"What's going on?" I whisper to Scorpius as we stand amongst students in the darkness.

My eyes start to adjust to the dark; the stars above illuminate the room slightly, but it is still very dark. I search Scorpius's face- he looks worried, but when he sees me, he smiles confortingly. "Probably just a power cut." Again. I say to myself, but just keep myself quiet, still holding onto Scorpius's hand.

Soon enough, McGonagall's voice was ringing off the walls, and the lights were flashing, like when me and Hugo were small, and would have fight over the lights, turning them off and on and off and on. I bite my lips as after what seems like ages, red emergency lights come on, and we were all told to leave the Grand Hall and go the Quidditch Pitch.

I didn't even know we had emergency lights?

The Forth Yearers eyes went round, and everyone started streaming towards the grand doors. I hadno idea what was going on. But I was sue of one thing: it was an internal job. By those who go by the name of The Cursers.

I found Bex's head bobbing around amongst the crowd, and excused myself from Scorpius, pushing against the current of people to get to her. Albus's arm was linked to hers. She finally noticed ma and pushed past a few people, dragging my cousin behind her.

"Rose! Rose, you know who did this right? It's them!" Bex exclaimed, her eyes round with worry. Albus put his hand on my back and started pushing me forward, shaking his head.

"This is way too bug for both of you. Just walk." he ordered, practically dragging both of us. I put on a pouty face, standing on my toes to get a better view of the room, to see if anything was wrong there. But everything was in order.

I finally succumbed to the flow of people and allowed myself to be dragged outside,leaving the teachers to fix whatever happened, as we would probably just continue the Dance outside- the weather was good tonight, last time I checked.

Merlin, was I wrong.

A red glow overpowered the whole Castle front. A whole tower of the Castle was burning, and smoke covered all the stars above us. I gasped, wrenching myself from Albus and running foward. They couldn't burn the tower, that's the Astronomy tower! Hagrid. Hagrid. Where's Hagrid? I thought desperately, looking around for his giantesque form. He could do something? Couldn't he? The lights in his hut were out.

I focused on a figure in the chaos, near the Forrest. It ran and ran to the opposite direction, never once pausing until he or she was gone. Hagrid's huge silhouette finally appeared. He had what looked like a bucket in his hand, and water slurred out of it. He ran forward. A huge manade of centaurs ran into the clearing, many of them burnt, and merpeople from the lake came up to see what the commotion was about.

"Is that the." Scorpius's voice stopped short, gaping at the burning tower. I nodded, my mouth dry with horror.

My whole body tingled with terror. Hugo. I have to find Hugo. He usually went up there during the night, when he couldn't sleep. Where is he? I started pushing people, asking if anyone saw him, but everyone shook their heads in denial. Soon, all the younger students came outside- he building was being evacuated. Madame Hook was flying over the tower, her wand at hand, splashing water onto the destruction.

I looked for him among the third years but he was not there.

"Lee? lee, where's Hugo?" I grasp my brother's roommate by the shoulders and the boy shrugs helplessly.