Chapter 6 - Cold Air

I was shocked by the seriousness in his tone. He made my skin crawl, fear settled at the base of my core and gradually rose with every breath I took. His gaze stabbed me, he wasn't looking at me, he was slowly killing me. His clenched jaw made his bone structure so sharp he could cut bone.

"I will not repeat myself."

What was I supposed to say? Alaric didn't want me to tell anyone about what happened.

I swallowed and cleared my throat before speaking.

"He..." I started, "he took me on a date. That is it."

He scowled at me.

"I'm the one person you shouldn't lie to, Xenia," Jay said lowly.

"I didn't do anything to him," I whispered, "I swear."

"You know, I really want to believe that. I do. I like you, Xenia. You're a great girl. But whatever you're saying to him needs to find a limit. I was worried about him hurting you, and breaking your heart, but you seem to be doing just fine. Maybe getting a bit tougher, even. Alaric? He's become the opposite. You have got to stop. I'm okay with your affair, but don't fuck with his feelings."

They're worried about Alaric? For what?! He's going to be fine without me!

"Is this about what he did to Wes?"

"You wouldn't understand," Jay said in a dangerously low tone.

I needed a little backbone.

I swallowed my fear and sat upright, inching closer to Jay. I looked him directly in his hazel blue eyes.

"Try me."

He was shocked above all. He had attempted at putting the fear of God in me and it lasted only for so long.

No, I was still about to shit my pants.

"We may do little shit and say little shit to each other, but we never put a girl before our brotherhood."

Ouch.

That was just enough for me to feel my ego disintegrate.

I got out of the car and began to walk. I set myself up for that one. I should've known. Bros before hoes. Duh, how could I forget that one simple rule. How could I honestly think for a second that I was important?

I realized that I would have to repress that information and my feelings if I wanted to start a trend with my internship. I did good yesterday, I needed to do better today.

As soon as I reached Cathy's office, she embraced me with a hug.

"You are a genius!" She said as she grabbed me by my shoulders. "It worked!"

My eyes widened in excitement.

"Well, not everything. After all, it is a process. But you did it! I have a meeting to go to with the CEO of our new client. All I need you to do today is sort through these products and see which ones would sell the most. Alright? I am so sorry I can't take you with me, it's a very confidential meeting."

I nodded.

That was actually better for me. I needed some alone time. I wanted to be alone.

I stayed longer than I was supposed to. My hours ended at 7, I stayed until 9. I had figured after I felt the desire to leave, I'd get dinner or something. I didn't want to see Alaric, or even talk to him. It wasn't his fault either, it's just that... Jay made me feel so fucking worthless. As if I didn't already know how temporary I am.