Chapter 18: A Distant Smoke On The Horizon

The Ferry To Hope Springs, 1982, 10 A.M, 35th Day of Summer

India felt the press of bodies against hers as she stood on the port side of the ferry deck and looked over the railing. They had just rounded the tip of the island on the journey back to the mainland, and the smoke on the horizon was distinctly clearer now that there was just open water between them and the run-aground oil tanker. Every passenger on the ferry had immediately made their way over to the same side to catch a glimpse of the column of black smoke rising to the sky.

"The smoke looks thicker and blacker than it did yesterday," said Jonas, his hand covering his eyes as he looked into the sun.

"That's because some of the oil has caught fire today," said a man to Jonas' left. "It's one way that the Coast Guard can get rid of some of the oil slick."

"Will it take care of all of it?" asked India, a little hopefully.

"No," said the man, a trace of sadness in his voice. "It will only get patches of it. Much of the oil is underwater, and fire is not an effective measure against submerged oil."

The crowd, made up of equal parts returning campers and counselors from Camp Outermost, summer tourists, and island residents, watched the dark smoke in relative silence for the remainder of the trip across the bay. The younger campers, usually chatty and rambunctious, sensed the gravity of the silence of the older campers and were unusually subdued.

Ireland, sliding her hand into India's in a way that she hadn't for a long time (not since Kindergarten at least), whispered, "What's going to happen now, India? Why did everyone have to leave the camp so early? Is our town going to be all right?"

India, enjoying the closeness of her sister, squeezed her hand before replying, "I don't know, Kiddo. Mom and Dad will be waiting for us at the ferry dock. You should ask Dad, I bet he would know."

Jonas, still squinting into the sun, interjected with a joke.

"Well, look at it this way, Ireland; our days of packing fish guts into bait bags might be over for now."

Ireland smiled as she thought of this. "Yeah. But I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I'd rather be doing that than having all the fish die in the bay."

After a few more minutes, the campers could hear Egan's voice calling above the sea wind and wafting over the ferry deck.

"Okay, campers and counselors, it's time to get back to the passenger cabin and make sure that you have all your bags and belongings. Most of your parents will be meeting you on the dock. A few other parents have made arrangements for pick up. It was quick notice, so some couldn't be here today for pick up. All right, let's get moving!"

India and the other campers reluctantly peeled themselves away from the side of the ferry and glumly headed up the steel steps to the passenger cabin. As she stepped through the door she saw Mrs. Blue and Roberto engaged in a hushed, animated conversation at the front of the cabin. From the look on both of their faces, India could tell that whatever they were talking about was serious, and they should not be disturbed. Most of the campers flopped down on their backpacks and folded up sleeping bags, and waited for the tell-tale "bump" that signaled that the ferryboat had come to rest in the dock.

If the mood of the group was decidedly downcast, it was lifted by the time the campers were being reunited with their families. India saw Mrs. Blue crack a tiny smile as she observed a young, female camper rush up the gangplank and jump into the arms of her Father and Mother. The girl's sleeping bag was tied to the bottom of her large backpack, and it bounced up and down wildly as she ran, like a buoy in a storm.