Chapter 45: Gabriel

Denton remained where he stood. The rounds from Sophia’s pistol smacked into the panel that divided the lab, leaving him unharmed.

Sophia had assumed the panel was just glass. Now she realized it must be aluminum oxynitride. She’d need something stronger than a pistol round to get to Denton.

‘And ever an ill death may they die,’ he said. ‘That’s why I’m on this side of the barrier. Just in case you did that.’

‘You’re trapped,’ she said.

‘I know you’re lying. You’re not very good.’ He unsheathed a knife from his belt. ‘If you knew how this world operates, if you could even conceive of the forces dancing at the edges of your world, you’d understand what I’m doing.’

‘You’re absolutely insane,’ she said, more to calm herself than to affect him.

No amount of adrenaline could feed her the energy she required to keep going. She still held the pistol and her Gerber knife in one hand. She could see her face reflected in the blade’s blood-slicked surface: half of it speckled with Renée’s blood. Some of the dots were beginning to drip, streaking her cheek and neck. She ignored them, focused on Denton. His gaze hadn’t shifted from her.

‘That depends on how you define insanity,’ he said. ‘The top of the food chain doesn’t end at the Fifth Column, Sophia. It goes a little higher.’ He regarded her with what looked like mild curiosity. ‘You would join me in a heartbeat if you really knew how much you needed me. I want to bring the Fifth Column to its knees just as much as you do.’

He used the tip of his own knife to cut the underside of his forearm, then removed his RFID, watching with seeming admiration as the blood seeping from the incision thickened and stopped flowing.

‘We’re not allies by any means,’ he said. ‘But right now, we have . . . complementary interests. I could use you. You could use me.’

She managed a weak smile, her gaze flickering briefly to Renée, lying in a pool of her own blood. It was just Denton now. Sophia tightened the grip on her pistol. She had to buy some time. Either until help came or she figured out a way to drop him.

‘You’ll have to try harder than that, Gabriel.’

‘Actually, that’s not my real name.’ There was a dark glint in his eyes. ‘Gabriel Denton died long ago.’

‘How?’

Denton shrugged. ‘I killed him. He was weak. Too human.’ He picked at the dried scab over his RFID incision. Underneath it was soft, pink skin. ‘This Chimera vector . . . this Methuselah effect, as Cecilia calls it . . . it’s really just a top-up. An upgrade to get rid of the wrinkles.’ He pulled the skin around his eyes. ‘Much better than what the Nazis could manage.’

Sophia realized she’d been holding her breath. She forced herself to breathe again. ‘How . . . how old are you?’

Denton flashed her a smile, all white teeth and glistening eyes. ‘Ninety-two.’ He stroked his trimmed bread. ‘Not bad for an old bastard.’

She didn’t know whether to believe a word he said. ‘Then why do you need the Chimera vector?’

‘I’ll give Cecilia this: she’s really fucking good at what she does.’ Denton held up the empty syringe. ‘I could have a hundred years out of this baby.’

‘So you can continue as the Fifth Column’s lap dog?’ Sophia said.

Denton shook his head. ‘Oh no, not at all. Their plans are doomed to fail. Just like yours. You and everyone else, your revered Cecilia McLoughlin included, have failed to consider every angle, every possibility.’