Chapter 25: My Aim Was Off

Grace’s voice hit Jay’s earpiece. ‘This is Tango Zero Golf. Encryption change confirmed.’

Damien wasn’t responding. That meant possible compromise. Which meant encryption switch. Jay figured Damien had gone toe to toe with Sophia. The bitch had probably knocked out his earpiece. Jay hoped that was all that had happened. Either way, he’d make her pay.

‘X-Ray last seen climbing onto balcony on second floor,’ Grace said. ‘At my location. Over.’

‘Tango Zero Juliet to Tango Zero Golf, acknowledged. Over,’ Jay said. He raced up the first flight of stairs. ‘Tango Zero Juliet to Oscar Five Delta. I need a fix on Tango Zero Delta’s location. Over.’

Denton’s voice filled Jay’s earpiece at twice the volume of Grace’s, bouncing across satellites all the way from Desecheo Island. Most of the words distorted in Jay’s ear. ‘Oscar Five Delta to Tango Zero Juliet. Coordinates patched through. Please confirm. Over.’

Halfway up the stairs, Jay paused to check his com. Bingo. The target’s location was 177 feet northeast. He confirmed the location with Denton. At least he was in the right fucking building. The tagging used GPS; no elevation coordinates. He could only hope that Damien was still on the second floor.

Pistol in hand, com in the other, he moved through the second-floor corridor. He snatched a glance at his com every now and then to confirm his heading. fifty-eight feet on his left. Through an apartment front door. This had to be it.

His arms trembled. He shook them loose. He had to get a hold of himself. He’d been in this situation plenty of times before. But not like this. Not with Damien’s life on the line.

He tightened his grip over both the com and pistol. Tried not to imagine what things would be like without Damien. Sweat poured down his forehead. He ignored it as he quietly double-looped detonation cord over the door handle. He wanted to call out and give Damien warning, but he’d be warning Sophia as well. He lit the det cord and took cover around the corner. Pocketing his com, he wiped damp palms on jeans. Pulled the slide back on his P226.

One round in the chamber. Just for her.

The door handle came free and hit the wall behind him. He leaped out from his cover. Wisps of white smoke obscured the door. It was still upright. He kicked through, heel first, let the momentum carry him through. He kneeled into position, aimed at Sophia’s head.

Damien was sitting on a chair, earpiece still in place. He was alive. He didn’t look hurt. Sophia was behind him, her pistol—a large, bulky Beretta—pressed against his temple. A belt was wrapped around her right shoulder just above where Jay had shot her.

He had his first line ready. ‘You know our protocol, Sophia. The elimination of an insurgency leader is worth the sacrifice of one operative.’

Sophia pointed her Beretta at him. ‘How about two?’

Damien wasn’t even tied up. He just sat there of his own free will, eyes glazed over. He stared straight through Jay as if he were an apparition.

‘Damien!’ Jay yelled.

Damien continued to stare through him.

‘What have you done to him?’ Jay tried to keep his voice low and measured, but even he could hear the hysteria in his voice.

Sophia spoke in the calm tone Jay was trying for but hadn’t quite achieved. ‘The very fact you were here to bait me into an ambush confirms that I have a traitor in my ranks. I don’t know who but I know it’s someone. For that, I can thank you.’

Jay kept his aim below the tip of her nose. Catastrophic head shot through the brain stem. He’d drop her as soon as he could ensure Damien was clear.