(y/n) POV

I sat with Hank, Sean, Raven, and Angel on the couches. Two agents walked up to the glass and looked in at us.

"I didn't know the circus was in town," one said. He looked at Angel. "Hey, come on, honey." He continued by imitating the sound of flapping wings. "No? Come on, let's see the foot." Hank stood up. That's it. Come on, Big Foot. Let's go."

Hank closed the blinds, waving slightly to the men.

"They're just guys being stupid," Raven said as Hank sat back down.

"Guys being stupid I can handle," Angel replied. "Ok, I've handled that my whole life. But I'd rather have a bunch of guys stare without my clothes off than the way these ones stare at me."

"At us," I said to her.

Suddenly, there was a thud heard from outside.

"What was that?" Darwin asked. Another thud followed. "Something doesn't feel right."

Darwin left Alex's side at the pinball machine. We stood up and walked towards the window. Darwin opened the blinds and we all stared outside. Suddenly, we spotted something appear in the sky

"What is that?" Darwin wondered out loud.

A moment later, something collapsed in front of the window. Raven screamed. It was a body of one of the agents. More bodies fell from the sky, making us move farther back into the room. Looking out the window, we saw a red man killing agents with a set of swords.

"Stay here, my ***," Darwin said. "Let's go!"

We followed him out of the room, only to be met by soldiers in the hall.

"Get back!" they shouted at us.

"We can help!" we protested, trying to get past them.

Suddenly, we heard explosions down the hall. As the soldiers began firing, we ran back into the room, screaming. When we got into the room, we saw a twister outside. Out another window, we saw the red man killing more soldiers. A man was thrown from the twister, smashing the other window. I gasped when the last man outside was killed. Raven whimpered slightly. I held her close to me, trying to calm her the best I could. The red man and a second man in a suit came walking through the windows. Bullets being fired could be heard from outside the door.

"Wait!" a voice said. "You want the mutants? They're right through that door. Just let us normal people go. We're no thr-"

His voice suddenly stopped and the doors opened, revealing a man in a helmet and a suit. He closed the door behind him. I felt power surge through me. I didn't know what was happening, but now was not the time to lose my cool.

"Where's the telepath?" he asked.

"Not here," the red man replied.

"Too bad. Well, at least I can take this silly thing off." He pulled the helmet off his head. "Good evening. My name's Sebastian Shaw. And I'm not here to hurt you."

"Freeze!"

I looked outside and saw a lone soldier.

"Azazel," Shaw said.

The red man teleported outside and killed the soldier.

"My friends," Shaw continued as if nothing had happened. He handed his helmet to the second man. "There's a revolution coming. When mankind discovers who we are, what we can do, each of us will face a choice. Be enslaved or rise up to rule." He looked at each of us as he spoke. "Choose freely, but know that if you are not with us, then by definition, you are against us. So, you can stay and fight for the people who hate and fear you. Or you can join me, and love like kings," he paused and looked at Angel, "and queens."

He held out his hand. A moment later, Angel's hand landed in his. He walked with her towards the window where Azazel was.

"Angel?" Raven said.

"Are you kidding me?" Sean asked.

"Come on," she said. "We don't belong here. And that's nothing to be ashamed of."

Darwin held out his hand to her. I could feel betrayal in each of my new friends as Angel walked away with Shaw.

"We have to do something," Raven said.

"(y/n)," I heard Darwin's voice say in my head. "I have an idea. I need you to connect me with Alex so I can tell him."

I nodded slightly and established a telepathic link between the two as Shaw, Angel, and the last man walked through the window. Darwin turned to Alex.

"I'm going to pretend to join them," I heard him explain. "When I give the word, blast us."

"Are you crazy?"

Shaw and his followers joined hands.

"It's the only way to stop him."

Alex pushed Darwin away.

"Stop," Darwin said. "I'm coming with you."

He walked towards the villains.

"Good choice," Shaw said to him. "So tell me about your mutation."

"Well, I adapt to survive," Darwin explained. Behind him, I motioned for my friends to move to the other side of the room. They slowly nodded and did so. "So I guess I'm coming with you."

"I like that."

Shaw motioned for Darwin to join his line. Darwin did so. As he joined hands with Angel, he looked at us.

"Alex," he called.

"Get out!" Alex ordered.

"Do it!"

I hurried my friends away as Alex powered up. Darwin wrapped Angel in his arms and turned away from us. Alex launched a blast on energy at Shaw, but the mutant only seemed to absorb the energy.

"Protecting your fellow mutants," Shaw said. "It's a noble gesture. Feels good."

Darwin lunged at him, delivering a punch. Shaw blocked it and grabbed Darwin's face.

"Adapt to this," he whispered.

He pressed a ball of energy into his mouth, then stepped away. I stared at Darwin as Shaw teleported away. His skin turned to metal, then rock. I felt a growing pain inside my chest. I gasped and collapsed to my knees.

"(y/n)?" Hank said, kneeling beside me.

I stared at Darwin. He looked at us, raised his hand, then exploded with a burst of light. I screamed, feeling pain erupt in my chest.