Chapter 3: Stuck In The Moment

CHAPTER 3: STUCK IN THE MOMENT

"Laura! Get down here! Keira made a new friend."

"What?!" My mom ran down the stairs. "Who is it?"

"Ask her." My dad pushed me down towards my mom's feet. She grabbed a hand full of my hair and pulled my head towards her face. "Who's your new friend?"

"N-nobody."

"Stop lying to me!" She banged my head against the floor. "Now I'll ask again. Who's your friend?"

"Just punish me already."

"What was that?"

"JUST PUNISH ME ALREADY!" I spat in her face.

"What did you-!"

"Shut up!" My mom yelled at my dad.

"Wha-?"

"I can handle this myself. Don't butt in."

After that, my dad went up to their bedroom.

"We're all alone now Keira. Maybe you want to change your mind and tell me who you've been hanging out with before I punish you."

"For making a friend?! What kind of a mother are you?! Your life sucked when you were younger so you have to take it out on me?! Is that it? You're the devil! Both of you!"

She just laughed. "Is there anything else you want to say? Just tell me his name and this will be over quickly." She took a knife from the cupboard. "What's his name?"

"Fuck you."

"Is that your final answer?"

"Yes bitch."

"Oh well then. No more turning back. By the way, I'm not going for your back." 

I widened my eyes. When I make a friend, she always cuts my... wrists.

"N-no..."

"But you should be used to this by now. I have to make it hurt a little bit more though because you won't give me a name." She grabbed my wrist and dragged me over to the dining table.

"Mom! Stop!"

"It's too late. I'm not your mother. I'm the devil, remember?" She slammed my wrist on the table and held it down.

"No!" I tried to pull away but her grip on me just got tighter.

"This will only hurt... a lot." She dug the knife into my left wrist. She slowly made one line, then another, and another, until she made a mark of a hashtag. I cried. I screamed. I could only take so much pain at a time.

"Next wrist." She let go of my left hand and then slammed my other hand against the table. She dug the knife deeper into my skin this time, creating the same mark. I screamed even louder. I don't even think I sounded human anymore. I surely wasn't being treated like one. She let go of my hand and I collapsed onto the floor.

"There's no alcohol done here so I guess your dad's beer will have to do." She grabbed a bottle of beer from the fridge and poured it over my wrists.

"Now, I don't think you should move your hands or else you'll bleed out faster. So sleep here for tonight." She threw the knife in the sink, turned off the lights, and headed upstairs. I couldn't sleep. I couldn't stop the tears from flowing. So much pain. How could I take any of this? How can I continue to endure this? Maybe I should just bleed out. Maybe then I'll be happy. But at the moment, I'm too weak to do anything. I'll just continue to cry on this floor with my blood making a mess.