Chapter One

-Nialls POV-

I sighed, rubbing my index fingers against my temples in circles. This isn’t going to work, I knew it wouldn’t before we even began, but the way my bandmates are joking around one day before the gig is only confirming my suspicions. I love them, most of the time, but they can be complete dumbasses at the worst times. We can't keep joking around if we want to do well. They act like they don't even care if we go up there and bomb the thing. There is no damn way we will be ready for our gig tomorrow. I already start thinking about my parent's echoing their favorite words, "I told you so, Niall. We both told you so." As I imagine them I shudder and quickly shake myself out of it, which isn't hard by how loud the other three are laughing.

“Seriously, guys, shut the fuck up, we have to take this seriously. This could be the beginning of everything for us. Do you even want us to sell this EP? If not then walk out the door now. We need to practice, even though you guys don't seem to realize that,” I huffed. Their faces still held traces of laughter, but they knew not to mess with me when I’m in a bad mood. Which I guess, technically, is always now a days. When I looked up at them again the smiles were gone, replaced with stoic faces.

“Start again,” I spat. I needed them to be serious, but they kept making jokes as if this is funny. They take everything as a joke. Life can't be a joke, always. Not everything is supposed to be taken as one big joke, they just don't realize that. It's irritating as hell. It's like they don't get that my whole life rides on this band, which, now thinking about it, they don't. Only Toby knows that. Anyways, to summarize, our gig is tomorrow and we still suck.

“Niall, calm down, okay? We have this down. We’ve been practicing for nearly four hours and in all of that time we’ve only messed up once. We'll be fine tomorrow,” Toby muttered, rolling his eyes.

“That’s one time too many,” I almost cringed at the use of my cliche, but I meant it. We had to be more than perfect if we were going catch the attention of the partygoers. We need them to want to hear more from us, and  as of right now they won't want to hear anything. If we can't get this gig down our EP will be a complete flop, not unlike the last one we released. So we run the songs again. And again. And again. We play until my fingers are raw and until I decide we’re good enough. By the time it hits 11, I knew it was time to quit. Around me everyone else was yawning, like they were almost tired of doing it. I've never understood how someone can get bored of playing like this. It's never made sense to me.

“Alright, guys, we’re done for today. Pack up and go home. Harry, text me the address of our gig tomorrow. Bye, I guess,” I mutter and shove my guitar into it's case, tugging the latches shut. I pick it up by the handle and jog to catch up with Toby, who's oddly walking quick and not waiting for me.

“Seriously Niall, you’re pushing me and everyone else to their limits. You really need to shove the hell off, okay? Just because you somehow declared yourself leader of this band, doesn’t mean you’re actually the leader. Everyone's starting to think you're an asshole, which, oh wait. You are. I’ve had enough,” He stalks out to the car and sticks his bass into the trunk. I follow suit with my guitar and clamber up into the passenger seat.

“I do not think I’m the band leader,” I mutter hotly, “But if we did have a leader, clearly I would be the best choice. I’m the only one that gets shit done. The only thing you guys do is sit around and laugh,” I say, the last part quieter than the first.

“See! That’s the problem. You wouldn’t be getting any shit done if it weren’t for us so stop acting like an entitled little bitch. Like, you know I appreciate you, man, but this might be it for you. There are so many other people in London who can play guitar just as well, or maybe even better, than you,” He bangs his hands against the steering wheel, while his frown sets deeper into his face, now his eyebrows furrowed along with it.