13: I Didn't Want to Make a Scene (& Several Other Lies)

THIRTEEN: I DIDN'T WANT TO MAKE A SCENE (& SEVERAL OTHER LIES)
FEBRUARY 21
WIL DIAMOND 

WIL'S SUDDEN EXIT MADE ABOUT as many headlines as the interview itself and in order to escape her mother before she had the opportunity to yell at her for it, Wil met Oliver in town for a coffee date. They didn't get much time together yesterday and she figured she should probably make it up to him considering she left to talk to Damon who was released from his unofficial holding cell in the Infirmary after Dr. K declared the herbs were effective.

Damon spent much of their conversation yesterday apologizing again and again despite Wil assuring him that she was fine—a lie, but one she sold well. He promised her he'd never do anything like that again and she believed him—though he couldn't help but notice the way she stiffened when he hugged her after telling her how relieved he was that she was okay.

"Are you heading back to campus tomorrow?" Oliver asked Wil over two almond croissants and coffees. She had been on her phone, agonizing over whether or not to send a text to Damon checking up on him, and she looked up to nod.

"Chloe and I are going back tonight. I'm trying to convince her to come back after classes tomorrow, though."

"You've been spending a lot of time away," Oliver commented, since in recent weeks, she'd been back and forth between home and school like some kind of commuter. "You know Dr. K will call you if there's any change in your dad."

"I know," Wil nodded, deleting the text before she could send it and then dropping her phone in her lap. "But I want to be there. And Chlo doesn't want to spend any more time at school than she has to. People are already talking."

"She's six months pregnant," Oliver chuckled, taking a sip of his coffee. "I'd be amazed if people weren't talking." Beside his drink, his phone buzzed with a calendar reminder. He picked it up to read and then afterwards, looked at her.

"So the first Sunday of April is the annual Benefactor's Dinner," he said. "Could I tempt you into being my date?"

She pursed her lips when she smiled. "I could be tempted. Hey, find me the right dress and I'll even join you for a dance or two."

"Oh yeah?" he teased, leaning across the table for a kiss. "From what I remember, you love to dance."

"I also love beautiful dresses," she replied and then winked at him. "And you. In case you were wondering."

"You know, I was beginning to question your intentions," he joked and she rolled her eyes. As she did, she caught a glimpse of the television across the café, switched onto WoMLive which was talking about yesterday's interviews with the Royal Family.

First was a clip from Leo and Mare's portion, where they discussed setting a date, picking a dress, and starting a family in the future. Then it switched and Wil saw herself on the screen, moments before she got up mid-interview.

"Look at him," TV-Wil said of Oliver, a nervous chuckle following the words. "Who wouldn't show him off?"

The camera panned across the room where Oliver stood off to the side and not a moment later, Wil had stood after mumbling something incoherent and walked away. She watched herself tear the mic pack off her back and drop it in the hands of whoever was near enough to catch it and then walk past Oliver like she never even saw him. The camera followed her all the way out of the room and seconds later, Damon walked out behind her.

"Wil!" She remembered the way he called her name the second that door was shut and they were alone in the hall. "Wil, stop!"