12: Press Day

TWELVE: PRESS DAY
FEBRUARY 20
KATE DIAMOND

ON WEDNESDAY, KING LEO DIAMOND announced his engagement to Mariella Bradley and the World of Magic burst into a frenzy. Press clamored for any opportunity to get a comment and like she did with any story of that magnitude, Kate's mother arranged for a series of interviews to take place at the palace that weekend.

Early Saturday morning, a car arrived at the Academy to bring Kate and Nicole back to the palace where the rest of the Royal Family was getting ready for the day's media circus. The second they entered the palace, they were swallowed by the chaos.

Stylists and makeup artists swept the girls upstairs to Kate's bedroom where they'd set up shop for the day. Mare was down the hall in one of the living rooms, her hand in Leo's as they chatted with Francesca Evans of WoMWeekly. They answered a carefully curated series of questions (vetted by the Queen and her handler, of course) and when they were finished, it was Kate's turn.

Across the hall, she heard her sister's laugh grow louder and moments later, she entered Kate's room with Chloe. While Chloe was dressed in a comfortable pair of leggings and oversized sweater, Wil was far more glamorous. She tucked a white blouse into a black tulle skirt and topped it all off with her favorite leather jacket and Louboutins. She flicked a long, chestnut-colored braid over her shoulder and loose tendrils framed her perfectly made-up face. When she sat on the edge of Kate's bed, she scrunched her nose up and giggled.

"That's what you're wearing?"

Kate, sitting in a chair while a makeup artist named Cordelia worked on her face, looked down at the navy pants and cream sweater she was wearing. Out of the options she'd been given, it was the safe choice and she preferred for people to be more interested in what she said during interviews than what she was wearing.

"Today's not about us," Kate eventually answered to which Wil started laughing again—that time at her.

"Oh Katie," she quipped, using that nickname that Kate loathed. "We're the princesses. Every day is about us."

Kate rolled her eyes and straightened her sweater as Cordelia brushed a layer of light bronzer on her cheeks. "Did you get Mom's email?" she asked and judging by the way her sister raised an eyebrow, Kate assumed she hadn't. "Well, she sent a list of talking points—including things we're not supposed to mention."

"Well I bet I can guess what tops that list," Wil snickered and beside her, Chloe was the one rolling her eyes.

Kate remembered the email perfectly. They were supposed to boast about how lucky they were to add another sister to their family and how happy they were for their brother. To talk about graduation and their excitement for what was to come next—college, according to their mother. They could even talk about their relationships (as both girls were involved with respectable young men, Clarion approved a bit of romantic conversation). But it was the list of Don't Mentions that was more involved.

Refrain from mentioning the Doctor or any of the students that have left since his arrival.

Refrain from mentioning Damon Donovan's current condition.

Refrain from mentioning Dr. K's work away from the Academy which involved finding a cure for their father.

Refrain from mentioning the expulsion/Banishment of Reagan Grave last year and her involvement with the Darks.

And above all, refrain from mentioning anything about their father's affair, Bernadette Chamberlain, or the family's strained holiday season.