Zoe's Story. (Chapter Five)

"Leo, why are you staring at Jace like that?" I quired, tilting my head at my brother.

Jace had an arm around my shoulder. He looked at Leo lazily. "Yeah. I didn't want to say anything, but it's kind of creepy."

We were on our way back from the visit. In case you're ondering, no, all of us didn't fit in the same car. Kyle had Amy, Falon (who, oddly enough, was kind of glued to his side), Damon, and Delilah. Leo and Cassidy were in the front section of this car, while My mom say in the passengar side and my dad drove. Jace and I were in the back.

Leo constantly looked over his shoulder ever few seconds at Jace, a puzzled expression on his face.

"He's still getting over the fact that you're still alive," Cassidy answered simply. A snall smile was on her face as she pecked his cheek. "Don't worry, love. No pigs are flying."

I giggled as Leo got this lovesick expression on his face. It slid back to confusion, then a glare. He huffed. "Oh. Well this changes everything."

Jace raised an eyebrow. "How so?"

"See, Damon, Art and I, we were totally couting on Gramps to scare you away. But now, this is war. We're on your side, dad."

My dad whooped from the front seat, honking his horn twice in celebration. "Booyah!"

"Touch him, and you're dead, Leonardo. That goes for Damon and Logan too." I growled at my brother.

I folded my arms, looking at Leo pointedly. He was probably the only one who could stare me down. Probably because he was the next in line. Still, probably remembering how it took four people to get me off of Genivive a few minutes before, he looked away, scowling.

I smiled. "Thought so."

"Wow. You're scary, babe," Jace breathed.

"Yeah, well, you can't stop me. Sorry, honey." My dad looked at me through the rearview mirror and smirked.

"Paul, if you try anything, you're cut off," my mother said casually.

He slammed on breaks, whipping his head at my mom so fast I thought it fly off his neck. "WHAT?"

"You heard me," she said in that same, uncaring tone. A small pull at the side of her lips gave her carefree attitude away.

My dad spluttered for a few moments, searching for composure, then exploded. "But--!"

"Paul." She glared at him levelly.

"Oh come on!" He protested.

"No."

"But--but--"

She looked at him for that final moment, and we could all tell that she was serious. My dad actually looked pained for a second. "Fine," he muttered. "The boy will live."

"Good," my mom said simply, stretching. "No hurry up. I need a nap."

*

"What are you doing?" Jace asked as I plopped down beside him with a notebook and a pen. Damon and Delilah were gone, Leo and Cass had disappeared somewhere, my mom took the twins and my dad to the store with them, and Falon, Art, and my uncle all went for a run.

I bit the top of the pen, trying to think. "My mom thinks I should write some sort of apology to Genivive."

He snorted. "You? Apologize?"

"You're learning fast." I nodded approvingly.

"Yeah, well, I'm a quick study," he shrugged. "I was homeschooled by a teacher in the pack."