The Savior of The Land

Stefan walked limply to the trees that Sophia had referred to. He remembered the day his father had fastened his coat around himself. Stefan had begged to come with him, but his father simply ruffled his hair. "Those woods are no place for a small boy. I'll be back later, I promise." His father never did keep that promise.

The trees loomed over him. Stefan could smell the brittle looking trees as he clutched the jewel that was once Sophia. He saw darkness ahead, but felt the warm winter rays on his back. A faint breeze played with his hair. He took a deep breath.

"Help me enter, Sophia," he whispered down to the pendant. He stepped through and heard a sickening crack, as if a glass had shattered onto the ground. The world turned upside down and was shaken like a snow globe. Stefan felt like he would be sick. He squeezed his eyes shut as the world changed and shifted.

When he felt the world right itself, he heard the gentle trickle of rain. The wind blew gently. The grass beneath his feet was soft and squishy. Stefan opened his eyes to see that the grass was a dull green and the trees were a muddy brown and the leaves were a sickly green. A dome of dead trees rose to his right. The sky was a pale gray. Stefan couldn't believe that this was the land that Sophia had gone on and on about. She had said that it was a colorful land with rainbows everywhere. Stefan couldn't see anything worthwhile.

In the bushes, Stefan heard a rustling. His hand went to his knife automatically. A muzzle appeared from the shrubs. A little brown horse showed it's face. It looked sad, and scared. Stefan's hand dropped. He took a knee.

"Hello, little one. Where did you come from?"

The little foul cocked it's head curiously. "Who are you?" It took a step forward into the shelter of a tree. A pearl white horn protruded from it's head. Stefan choked back his surprise. Sophia had informed him of the unicorns.

"S-Sophia seeked me out and brought me here."

The foul perked up a bit. "Where is she?"

Stefan looked down. He heard the filly gasp. "I'm sorry, little one. She sacrificed herself for this land. I am here to carry out her final wish."

He wiped a tear off his cheek and looked up. "What is your name, little one?"

The foul sniffled. "Lilly."

"Well, Lilly, can you show me where the castle Sandra is being kept?"

The filly nodded and walked into the forest she came from. Stefan jogged to catch up. The filly dragged her feet and kept her head down. Stefan felt awkward, as if he were intruding on her sadness.

The trees parted and showed a crumbly old castle rising out of the ground. He heard a voice far up in one of the towers, singing. His heart melted.

"W-What's that sound?"

The filly lifted her head and sighed. "It's Sandra. She sings to keep us happy when we hear her. It's the only way she can fulfil her duty to the unicorns."

Stefan had never heard anything so beautiful. The singing was like church bells ringing after a hard week of work. Stefan sighed.

Lilly seemed much happier. She turned to Stefan and said curiously " Is there anything else you need?"

He shook the fogginess out of his head. "Yes, where is a place that Sandomire and Tantoon won't find me."

Lilly thought for a moment then said, " Follow me."

She led him to the side of a low mountain. She squeezed herself between a tree and the rock wall. Stefan followed cautiously. Once he managed to get between the tree and wall, He saw that he was surrounded by a ring of trees. There was a crack in the rock wall that was spouting fresh water into a small pool. Dead branches lay scattered around. Vines hung limply from the trees. Large leaves covered the ground. Lilly stood next to a soft patch of clover.