Chapter Fifteen | Back to School

The alarm had yet to start beeping from the bedside table when Miranda slowly opened her eyes. Feeling the warm body against her, she instinctively inched closer to Braydon. The familiar beat of her neighbor's aerobic DVD had interrupted her sleep and the more awake she became, Miranda found herself tuning into the even more constant hum of traffic outside. It was a cosmopolitan jungle outside the warm and secure bed she was currently curled in. Instantly she found herself longing for the serenity being away from civilization had treated her with, or even the temporary haven going home had offered.

With a sigh, she rolled over and Braydon instantly adjusted his own position to cradle her against his chest, but the peace that returned to them both didn't last as the alarm finally went off. Thanks to making a few minor changes to her roster, Miranda made her three working days into two full and two half days, so she could help Braydon adjust to going to his classes and make sure he actually got to them without becoming lost or being late.

"Make it stop!" Braydon growled, pulling the blanket up over his shoulders and completely covering Miranda in the process.

"Your arms are longer, you do it." She yawned and not making an effort to be careful of moving her, Braydon simply leaned across Miranda to hit all the buttons on the top of the device until it stopped it's beeping.

Nearly being crushed underneath him, Miranda only giggled and barely opening his eyes, Braydon wrapped his arms back around her and rolled Miranda over so as he laid flat on his back, she was now laying on his stomach.

Everything felt, new and Miranda had never felt so hopeful about the future as she did in that moment, knowing something had definitely changed between them. Reaching up, her finger traced the outline of Braydons chin and jaw, moving up higher, she brushed against his lips and as he playfully went to bite her finger, Braydon loved the laugh that followed. Giving up on going back to sleep he started to tickle her instead, making Miranda squirm.

By the time they stopped, both were breathless and glowing from their unusual wake up routine. This time when Braydon was hovering over Miranda, there was no hesitation in further contact or what be expected to come next, and her lips felt even more natural against his. His 'practice' from the night before had clearly paid off as Miranda ended up with her legs wrapped around his waist, wanting more.

Braydon moved down her neck, along her chest and as Miranda tilted her head back to give him access, she caught sight of the time and forced herself to let him go. "Crap! Braydon, we're going to be late!"

"I don't care." He really didn't, giving into instincts that were completely human and eager to explore more of what she had to offer. Every inch of him was responding to her having her so close; each touch was pushing his nerves to the limits.

"Move, I gotta shower!" Wiggling out from underneath him, MIranda brushed back her hair and catching a glimpse of herself in the mirror on her dresser, couldn't help smile at her flushed appearance. "Go get ready, I want breakfast on the way!"

Food was appealing and with a frustrated groan, Braydon got up and headed into the main bathroom while Miranda ran to hers. The whole time she couldn't stop smiling, feeling more like a teenager with a crush than a grown woman who should know better. The smile stayed with her until she was dressed and went to find Braydon. Expecting him to be ready, she did find him washed and clothed, only he was now pacing his room on the verge of shifting.

The feeling something was about to happen had Brayond's stomach in knots and sensing her in the doorway, he froze. The look in his eyes was feral, untrusting - more wolf than human and without thinking Miranda stepped back. Her sign of retreat didn't make the situation any better and the growl confirmed what was obviously going on. Rather than meet his gaze, she avoided it. Years of being around all kinds of dogs with her Father had Miranda subconsciously trying to make him see she wasn't a threat, even if she didn't realise what she was doing.