Chapter 10: Anon

Leslie was shrouded in darkness, but her eyes glowed, focused on Len like a wolf eyeing its prey.

"Took you long enough," the waitress leaned against the wall, hands in the pockets of her tight blue jeans. She wasn't wearing her uniform, Len noted. A small, plaid blouse was buttoned up around her upper half and her flaxen curls were pulled back into a taut bun.

Len sighed, opening his mouth to say something. The woman beat him to it.

"I'll tell you right now, it's not who you think it is," Leslie's voice was low. Len could barely make out her expression in the shadows.

"What?" Len frowned. Leslie grimaced.

"I know you've got your suspects," Leslie went on.

Len shook his head slowly. Who could it be, besides Leslie, Neru, and maybe that odd boy out on the field? He hadn't really approached anyone yet.

"I really don't," Len said, "If you know, why are you holding it back?"

The woman exhaled and glanced at Len before swiftly pulling a dagger out of her pocket and bringing it to Len's neck. He had reacted instantaneously, flicking a knife out of his sleeve and pressing it to her flesh.

"This...," Leslie whispered, "Is how prepared you need to be."

Slowly, the girl lowered her knife and pocketed it.

"At least tell me if they're male or female!" Len hissed.

Leslie stared at the young man silently for a few seconds. "Both," she said darkly. Suddenly, her eyes widened as she looked past the agent. Len snapped his neck back and saw Neru.

"What're you doing here?" Len and Neru both asked at once. Len spied two tote bags in her hands before focusing on her face again.

"I was out for a walk!" Neru said, "Rin asked me to pick up some things for her...wait, aren't you supposed to be..."

Dammit, busted...

"Y-Yeah, I'm...I forgot something," Len lied lamely, pulling the girl close, "But you're a nice surprise..."

"Is that her?" Neru caught a glimpse of Leslie, who was still hidden in the shadows, "That waitress? Len, I thought..."

"Oh, is that her?" Len frowned and did his best to put on a convincing performance for his girlfriend slash suspect, "I didn't realize at first...she told me she lost her cat, so I was helping her look."

"In an alley?"

"Where else?" Len shrugged and linked arms with Neru, "You shouldn't be here. It's dangerous."

"No, it's not!"

"Didn't you hear about that guy who tried to beat me up the other day?"

Neru pursed her lips, letting the agent pull her out of the alley and down the street. "You mean Dean. Susie's boyfriend. He found your stupid list."

"I still don't know how," Len frowned.

"Neither do I," Neru headed towards a supermarket, "Listen, Len. I have to go buy some things, but I'll be waiting for you to pick me up, okay?"

"Right," Len nodded and looked at the girl before quickly planting a small kiss on her mouth, "See you."

They parted ways and as Len walked, he kept checking behind him to make sure that she wasn't following him. Then, he returned to the alley. Leslie was gone.

Len grimaced, frustrated, and stormed out of the alleyway, grabbing a bus and taking it back to the area where his home was. He got off and quickly reentered his room through the window.