Chapter 4: New Kid in Town

It was only twenty-four hours later that Len was sitting in a classroom full of idiots, being bored to death by the droning teacher up at the front.

The old man went on and on about graphs and functions, things that Len already knew. Len tried to bide his time by examining the classroom and the students. He spent a large fraction of his time examining the female student population, noting his favourites and organizing them into categories in his notebook.

Twenty hours earlier

Len stepped out of his car and slammed the door shut. He was in a small neighbourhood, and little houses littered the area around him. He looked up at the house that Crypton had given him, and without giving it much though, he walked up the steps and turned the doorknob.

The door was unlocked. Len had expected as much. He walked in, down the dark hallway and past the bend, into a mostly empty living room. There was a table and a couple of chairs in one corner, and a man sat there, gazing out the window absentmindedly, looking at the house next to this one.

"You're here, Agent Kagamine," the man turned and smiled warmly at Len. A mask concealed the upper half of his face, "Have a seat."

Len scowled and walked up to the man. He didn't sit.

"I insist," the man's voice was thick. Kagamine bit his lip and pushed the chair to one side with one leg and then sat down.

"Where is he?" Len asked. The man laughed.

"We're getting to that, Kagamine," he smirked, "As you already know, we've found leads that suggest that he is in this town."

"I've had enough of this 'suggest' crap," Len spat, "Don't you ever have anything concrete?"

"It's your job to make it concrete, agent," the man said. Len crossed his arms.

"Whatever," he muttered under his breath, "Just tell me what I need to do to get to him."

The man laughed again. "He's in the town. That's all we know. He's in the human trafficking business, so we think that he may be lurking around the school."

Len let out a puff of air and put his head on the table. "I see where this is going."

"You're a sharp one," the man nodded, "Yes, you'll be a student at the local high school...only because you don't look young enough for elementary..."

"Shut up and keep going," Len snarled, not caring how contradictory his words were.

"You'll also be working at a local convenience store, so that you can get an idea of the types of people that are in this town. We've got a new wardrobe for you in your room, as well as a booklet of notes on what sorts of personalities you should take on, depending on the situation."

Len scoffed. He didn't need a book to tell him how to do his job.

Nevertheless, he said plainly: "Fine."

The masked man smiled. "You are an excellent agent, Kagamine."

***

That was pretty much how Len had ended up in a classroom full of delinquents. He sighed when the bell rang and the students began piling out of the room.

"What's that?" A girl bent down over his notebook and stared at Len's attractive females' ranking, "And why is Susie's name near the top?"

"It's none of your business," Len swiped his notebook away and the girl tugged playfully at the blue bobby pins in her lemon coloured hair.

"You were ranking the girls in class," she giggled, crossing her arms, "By how pretty they were."

Len grabbed his books and wordlessly left the classroom. The girl followed him like a moth to a flame. Similarly, she didn't know that he could very well dispose of her if he wished.

"Well, come on, say something," she yelled over the noise of clamouring students, "You didn't even introduce yourself to the class!"

"I don't need to," Len muttered, "Leave me alone."

"Why? It's lunch time, I can go wherever I want," the girl beamed, "My name's Rin, but I'm sure you already knew that."

"I did," Len grumbled. He knew the names of the entire class, for that matter.

"Where did you put me on the list, huh?" Rin grinned at him, following him outside.

"It was near the bottom," Len grumbled, "Now leave me alone!"

"So is that good or bad?" Rin swayed from side to side playfully, "Since Susie was near the top, I'm assuming that the higher a girl is, the cuter you think she is."

"Yeah."

"Susie's taken, you know," Rin waved a finger in front of Len's face. He wrinkled his nose.

"I don't care," he frowned, "Now go!"

"You suck," Rin stuck her tongue out at him, "Stupid, putting my name near the bottom of your dumb list. If I made a list, I'd put your name at the top!"

She ran off and Len furrowed his brow. What a strange girl. She'd put his name at the top of a list of cute girls?

Wait, maybe she meant a list of cute boys...

OCs: Susie