Chapter Eighteen

Kise

I was really proud of Seirin that day. I loved watching them work together, and with their teamwork they managed to get into the semi-finals. I kept watching Kagami and Kuroko, and suddenly missed the time when it was Aomine instead of that red-head.

I frowned, mentally slapping myself for thinking sad memories. Kuroko was clearly enjoying himself, so I shouldn't ruin everything because of a bad past. He deserved to be happy, and I knew Kagami was the key to his happiness.

I caught Aomine sitting alone on a bench not far from his locker room. He seemed depressed. I quietly walked towards him and sat down without saying anything. Aomine sighed, as if he knew it was me.

"Congrats on going to the semi finals." I congratulated him, but he made no response. He probably already expected to win anyway.

"I gotta get going, I haven't congratulate Seirin yet." I huffed as I got up, but before I could move forward, a hand grabbed my wrist, making me stop in my tracks. I gave Aomine a confused look until he glanced up at me. My heart broke after seeing how red his eyes were. Was it because of last night?

"I don't know what to do, Kise," He croaked. "I'm so... lost. I don't know what to do. I can't do this. I can't move on."

His hand released mine and he was back to his original position, face buried in his hands. I felt bad for him, but I had no rights to do anything. It was only between him and Kuroko.

"You have to learn to let go," I suggested. "I know it hurts a lot, but Kuroko is happy now. If you really love him, you wouldn't take away his happiness, would you?"

"I wouldn't," He sobbed. "But I want to be his happiness, Kise. I want to be the one to make him happy. Not Kagami."

"You had your chance, and it's all up to Kuroko. Give him your support, at least. I'm sure it'll make him happy. It's easier for him to let you go too."

My phone buzzed in my pocket, so I took it out to give it a check. Kasamatsu senpai sent me a text about meeting up. I smiled a little before giving Aomine a ruffle on his head. He breathed, and I was glad he calmed down a little. I didn't liked seeing my friends cry.

"I really gotta go. I'll see you tomorrow?"

Aomine kept silent, then slowly nodded his head.

"See you, then."

• • •

"It's really good to see you again, Kise," Kasamatsu senpai grinned, wrapping an arm around me. "We missed you."

My heart softened a little. He wasn't usually like this, especially during trainings. But he was right, I missed them too. Without thinking, I laughed and wrapped my arms around them, making them laugh too.

It's the moments like this that made me love basketball more. I loved playing with them, winning with them, and of course, having fun with them. I glanced over at Kasamatsu senpai. Watching him laugh as if there was nothing wrong going on in his life pained me a little. Suddenly a flashback of what he told me flashed in my head.

"I can't play for long, Kise."

Even though he was smiling, I saw how forced and broken it was. His eyes filled with tears, but he stopped them from falling.

"The doctor said something's broken. I think it was my knee, or foot. I can't remember. I don't want to remember."

"Senpai..."

"I want to keep playing with all of you, Kise," He cried, grabbing me by the collar. "I don't want to stop like this."

"Kise!" His call brought me back to reality. I blinked, realising they're already ahead of me. Kasamatsu senpai waved his hand, grinning widely at me. I pushed back the memories and forced a smile, making my way towards the team.

If this was his last game, I'll make sure to make the best out of it.