Chapter two: Post-Wedding jitters pt. 1

"Hurry up!" Jack shouted. "We're gonna have impact any minute!" He was dressed in a wifebeater and jeans.

Joe hurriedly put his pants on. "Whoa, whoa! What impact? And why'd you break the door?"

Jack shrugged on a wife beater. "There's no time!"

He grabbed Joe and dragged him by the wrist. Joe's head pounded. "What the-HEY!" He couldn't free himself from  Jack's grasp. Jack ran for the door.  He continued to drag Joe down the hall, and down three flights of stairs.

"Whoa, whoa-hey! I don't even have shoes on!"

Jack ignored Joe's protests. He ran out of the stairwell and to the hotel's gym. It was empty at this time, and full of athletic equipment. Like their hotel room,  it had a large  window. Jack ran towards it.

"Brace yourself, Cuddlebottom!"

Joe tried to free himself from Jack's grasp. "WHY ARE YOU-WHAT THE-STOP! STOP!"

Jack broke through the window as Joe screamed. "OHHHH MYYY GOD!"

The missiles had already been launched. They made impact with the hotel just as Jack jumped. The ensuing blast propelled Jack and Joe towards the large pool below. Joe continued to scream as he plummeted towards the water. Debris and glass fell past him as he clung to Jack's wifebeater.

They hit the water hard. Shock surged through Joe. The water was cool and refreshing. As he began to float beneath the surface,  Jack pulled him back up for air. "You okay, snugglekins?" Jack asked. He pulled Joe out of the pool.

Joe sputrered and gasped for breath. "Wh-Wh-Was that real?"

Larges chunks of debris crashed around them. Jack put his hands on Joe's shoulders. "Focus, Snugglekins. We have to get out of here."

Joe looked around.  Tourists and employees alike were fleeing from the scene. Jack took him by the hand again.

"Let's go."

Joseph let Jack pull him away from the pool. They ran from the hotel and towards the main strip. Based on their surroundings,  Joe knew he wasn't far from home. Jack crouched behind a car, and let go of Joe's hand. He took a moment to calculate their next move. "I think Chau still has some hard feelings after last night. We gotta get out of Nevada. Any suggestions?"

There was no reply.

Jack looked back. His 'Cuddlebottom' was nowhere to be found. 

Joe had ran like crazy the second Jack let go of him. He headed home in a cab. Luckily, his wallet had been in his pants. Joe lived in North Las Vegas,  he rented a small place not too far from a bus stop. He was sure  he looked like a wreck. He was shirtless,  shoeless, and scratched up. He had blisters on his feet from running and a mark on his arm from where Jack had grabbed him.

He was shaking when he entered his home. He headed for the bathroom and raided his medicine cabinet. There wasn't much in it; allergy medicine, chewy vitamins, asprin. He popped two asprin in his mouth and swallowed some water from the sink.

"Okay Aboringo, just keep calm. Just..." He glanced at his left hand. There was a large ring made of jade on his middle finger. A small dragon with ruby eyes had been carved into it. "How long have I been wearing this?" He shuddered.  "Don't tell me this is my...wedding ring."

He turned off the faucet and went to his living room.  Aside from the dingy couch and small flatscreen, there was a packed suitcase and a backpack. Joe had planned on spending his weekend down in Florida with his mother. He wasn't looking forward to her nagging,  but he also had the urge to get out of Nevada as soon as possible.

He quickly changed into a better outfit and grabbed his luggage.  His flight was in a few hours, and he figured the airport would be safer than his house. He headed back out. 'I don't know what the hell is happening, but I'm getting away from it.'

In no time at all, he was standing in a line at the airport. The slow pace relaxed him. He was beginning to wonder if the morning's events were a hallucination, though the ring on his finger proved otherwise. He loosened his grip in his suitcase. ' I just gotta get out of here.'

"What are you doing,  Snugglekins?"

Joe nearly jumped out of his skin. Standing behind him was a very unamused Jack.

Joe began to panic. "Who? What? Me?"

"It's dangerous to be in a place like this." Jack crossed his arms. He had changed his attire as well. He was wearing a jean shirt, khakis, and boots. "Traveling commercially is suicide. Too traceable." Jack stroked his stubble-covered chin. "Unless...You chose a commercial flight because you figured Chau would never check those since it's so obvious that its dangerous and therefore Chau wouldn't bother checking them. That's brilliant, Snugglekins!"

Jack hit him with another dazzling smile and Joe stared at him in disbelief.

"So, where are we headed?" Jack asked.

Joe continued to stare. 'This can't be happening. It can't.'

"Are you okay?"  Jack asked.

Joe faced forward as the line moved slightly.  "It's a vivid hallucination." He closed his eyes."Someone must have slipped me something last night."

He felt Jack take his hand again. "Hey..."

Joe jerked his hand away. "Look, I-"

He noticed a  bulge in Jack's right pocket. It was shaped like a gun. He swallowed hard and looked forward.  There was a set of metal detectors coming up. Security would take care of this guy. He took a deep breath. He would only have to deal with this guy a little while longer.

"Look...Jack, was it?"

"Yeah?"

"I don't really know what's going on here. I mean, I don't really remember what happened and-"

Jack shushed him. Looking towards an exit, he noticed two men in all black suits weaving through the crowds and heading towards them. "I think I see two of Chau's men. Give me our destination so we can get out of here."

"What?"

Jack grabbed Joe by the arm, skipped the line, and addressed the desk clerk. He flashed a badge at the woman. "Jack Bullet, CIA. I need two tickets to-" He glanced at Joe.

"F-Florida." Joe blurted and then mentally kicked himself. 'Damn. Why didn't I say something else? '

"Florida. It's a state of emergency."

"Sure thing,  Dollface." The clerk was more taken with Jack's appearance than his mission. She checked the computer.  "There are some first class seats for a plane to Miami. It leaves in thirty minutes."

"Perfect."Jack pushed a black credit card and an I.D. at her. "Book it."

Joe took out his I.D. as well, confused.

The woman gasped, looking at the card. "This is..." She pressed a button. Two airport personnel appeared. "Mr. Bullet and his guest are on our high fly list. Please escort them to Flight 380."