NCIS: The mystery. Chapter 1: Abby.

As I walked through the double doors, the stench of iodine filled the corridors. The over-the-top clean, white corridors. This could only mean one thing…something or rather someone was here. A new body, a new mystery, a new deadline. I knew that Gibbs would be on my case if I didn’t hurry up and get to my lab…

I walked through the endless miles of corridors, twisting and turning around the building, like a vine on a tree branch. I walked past the squad room and it was completely empty. No one was there.

You may all be wondering what is my job and why does it involve dead bodies? And maybe even why I like doing what I do?

I am a forensic pathologist; I work for NCIS that stands for Naval Criminal Investigative Service. I am merely part of a team and we, the team, have a leader that leader being Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs. Who as it happened was not in the squad room with the rest of the team this morning…

As I sat awaiting my orders to come through and information on the case, I couldn’t help but wonder where they all were and why they weren’t here…more importantly what they were doing. Maybe one of them was hurt at the crime scene, or maybe one of them was the new body downstairs…or maybe they were all injured…I was sick to my stomach with worry. I had to find out what was going on.

Tap, tap, tap.

I held the phone to my ear, it was ringing. I was calling Timothy McGee, the geek of the team and my boyfriend. I let it ring and ring… ‘Hey sorry I couldn’t come to the phone right now, but…’ voicemail. Tim always answers his phone, I thought anxiously. I then rang Anthony DiNozzo, who is NEVER without his phone. Again it went straight to voicemail. I then began to worry even more, I couldn’t understand where they all were, and I didn’t know where they all were.

Beep, beep.

Email. I had an email, I crossed my fingers and hoped it was from the team. I clicked on the envelope and it was from Cynthia; Director Jenny Shepard’s assistant. I read it aloud to myself:

Dear Abby,

The director wishes to speak with you at 09.30 today.

Thanks,

Cynthia

I stared hard at my wrist, it was 09.27. Speedily I power walked to the elevator. As the doors opened Tim was standing there, he almost walked straight into me.

“Timothy McGee!” I exclaimed.

“Abby” he replied, almost shocked.

He tried to walk out of the elevator but I dragged him back in.

“Where have you been?!?” I enquired.

“A meeting with the director, why?” he said, as if it was totally normal.

“Where you all there?” I asked hastily.

“Yes, what’s with all the questions all of a sudden?” Tim asked me.

“Well none of you were in the squad room, then neither you or Tony answered your phones, I thought you’d been blown up at a crime scene!” I shouted.

He went to say something, but then he was interrupted by the sound of the elevator doors, I knew I had to go, but I wanted to know what was going on.

“I don’t know how long I’m going to be, but I want to know everything when I get out!” I said, sternly. I gave him a hug and walked out of the elevator. I sped walk to the director’s office, I said good morning to Cynthia and sat down and waited for my call.

I looked around the waiting area, I’d never really taken much notice to it before. The director was obviously running a little late. So I continued looking around the waiting area. In the corner of my eye was a plant. Now you wouldn’t think a plant was interesting, but there was something about this plant that really caught my eye. Maybe it was the molecular structure of the broad red leaves, or maybe the smell of the flowers. I stared at it for a while, my eyes relaxed and the shapes became blurred.