My Brother Wants Back In My Life? No Way.

this is my first story i have ever written. so please be nice lol :)!

-------------------------------------------------

I can't seem to run faster. As much as I try, I can't. My legs feel heavy and I want to give up. But I know I can't let him get me. Too many bad things have happened when he gets to me. I feel him gain closer and I try to run as fast as I can. I scream for someone to help me, anyone. But nothing seems to escape my mouth. As I run from my pursuer I feel tears run down my face. Suddenly I feel his arms wrap around my waist. I can no longer touch the ground as he picks me up and throws me to the floor. I can't feel anything as I cry harder. My father leans closer to me as I wimper.

"I told you not to leave me!"

I can't seem to find anything to say. I feel weak and tired. He just laughs and stands back up ready to hit me. I scream one more time.

I wake up screaming and panting with sweat running down my face. My clothes stick to my body as the fabric absorbs my sweat. This dream never ceases to scare me. It reminds me of how weak and vulnerable I used to be. I'm scared that one day he will do something that I won't be able to stop and he will hurt the one person I care about the most. My door swings open and light floods my room. Fearing it's my father and his drunken self, I feel a bolt of adrenaline pump through me as I wait to see what's coming. I get ready to defended myself as I see a silhouette of a small figure. I instantly drop all my guards when I hear her petite voice.

"Maddy? Are you okay?"

I hear the familiar voice of my little sister Bethany. She slowly walks towards me and I see her big round hazel eyes staring at me in concern. I quickly pull her onto the bed and into my arms. I hug her like my life depended on it.

"Tigger, what are you doing in here?" I whisper.

"I heard you scream and I wanted to help you."

I sigh sadly. I love her more then anything in the world I would protect her with my life, but she just doesn't understand what will happen if she 'helps' me. I pull her more tightly against me.

"Bethany, you know you can't. Please just stay safe for me. I wouldn't know what I would do if he hurt you."

"Bu-"

"But nothing. Besides it was only a bad dream. I'm okay now."

We lay together, her in my arms, in silence for a while.

"When is mommy and Kane coming home?" Beth asked me in a quiet voice.

"Beth" I gasped. "You know mommy isn't coming back. Shes with gran and pa in heaven. Remember?" I quietly sobbed as I told her.

She nods her head. I let my eyelids drop as the silence grows.

"Wha-, What about Kane?" she asked in a muffled voice.

She asks me this question every time we have a quiet moment like this and every time I don't know what to say. Because I honestly don't know. Kane was our older brother. He walked out on our family two years ago. He didn't leave a note, didn't even say goodbye. He just left without a word. One day when I got back from school, I heard my dad yelling over the phone. He was just pacing but after he hung up, when he saw me standing there, it's like he just snapped. He started to throw things and hit anything in his way. Unfortunately I was in his way. One moment he was just standing in front of me fuming and the next I was on the floor with my hand to my cheek. I was utterly stunned. My father had never hit me before and I didn't know what to do. He just stood there, staring at me. He dropped to his knees and started crying.

"I'm so sorry baby. I didn't mean to do that. I'm so sorry. Please forgive me." He cried.

I could see pain and regret pouring over his features. I pulled him into my arms and let him cry himself out. I kept trying to comfort him.