Chapter 1

'Blessed is the man that perseveres under trial'

____

It's all about perspective. That influences how you see the world. It's how you respond to life's challenges. If your perspective is negative, you can't be surprised when you feel worse about life. Positivity is key. Kill your enemies with kindness, smother them with mystery, and take everything with a grain of salt. Things always work out, eventually.

These were my thoughts as I walked away from a party that had been busted by the police. I was a bit drunk, and had forgotten where my car was parked. Walking never hurt anyone anyway. The streets were illuminated by the orange streetlights above my head. The air was a bit cold, not too bad, but you definitely needed a jacket. There was rustling in a bush as I walked past. I assumed it was a raccoon or lizards scampering through the branches.

My thoughts were always a jumble, so I usually would be by myself to untangle them. I had a dark mind, and I tended to doubt myself...a lot. But no matter, if I wanted to be positive, I have to start from within.

Scuffling sounded behind me, and I turned to see about four guys. Each of them in polos, khakis and boat shoes. All of them had their hair combed and jelled over. I blinked. They all looked so clean-cut. Until one with brown hair gave me a sinister grin.

"Hello. You know it's dangerous to be out this late?" He spoke. His tone was so friendly, but his words were evil.

"Especially if you're alone." A blond one added. I gulped and started running, but due to my lack of sobriety, I wasn't going very fast. I tried to turn a corner, the Polo Boys right behind me, when I fell. I quickly scrambled to stand, but was kicked down. I screwed my eyes shut. I should've run faster, I knew I could have.

"Got his wallet." A dirty blond one announced to the group. He opened it. "Zackary Steven Merrick. Huh, average name." One of the guys sneered at me. I winced as a pain shot through my stomach. "What are you doing out this late, Zackary?"

"Being a screw up, he reeks of alcohol." Another piped up.

"Underage drinker, huh?"

"Seems so. His ID says he's seventeen."

"And a kid. This just keeps getting better." And with that, they began kicking and punching me. I just stayed silent and waited for it to be over. My mind was a bit clouded with the alcohol in my system.

"Guys, you have my wallet, take my money. I just want to go home. My little sister wants me to make her French toast when she wakes up." I pleaded with my attackers. Laughs and snickers replaced the painful kicks. "Just let me go."

"Look, he's fucking begging." One howled in laughter. "Hear him, Collin?"

"Fucking pathetic." Collin added. The whole experience was so surreal since they didn't look like the people who'd mug anyone. I thought about my little sister, Emily. Her toothy grin helped me hold on while they beat the shit out of me.

"Get him, Todd." I felt something pierce into my thigh making me call out in pain. I could feel blood gushing from my thigh, and I knew that I'd been stabbed. "Goodnight, piece of shit." Then I felt something in my neck and the world went dark.

_____

Dark. That's all that surrounded me. It felt like I was asleep, but on the edge of waking up. You know, that feeling of when you know you're asleep. I figured I'd probably passed out and needed to get up. But, I couldn't. My body wouldn't budge. My eyes wouldn't open. I wanted to scream, but no noise would escape my throat. I was silent.

There was so much I wanted to do, things I took for granted. Emily probably woke up to no cinnamon in the air. I wasn't even supposed to have gone out. I couldn't bear the thought of my mom worrying about me. I felt the feeling of tears behind my eyes, but no tears flowed. Nothing hurt physically.

There was a steady, rhythmical, beeping that echoed throughout the room. What was I supposed to do? My mind roamed, my thoughts like cattle across a plain. I remembered going to Alan's party, and walking home. I also remembered being mugged. But my mind was a bit hazy and details were a bit blurry. The sound of a door opening made my mind resurface so I could assess the situation.

"Okay, this patient has no name." A voice said, a man, for sure. The sound of a pen across paper bounced off of the walls. "A John Doe. Hm." He chuckled stiffly at his own play on Jane Doe. "Was found on a sidewalk, unconscious. Broken ribs, fractured collarbone, stab wound in the thigh, and he appears to be color-blind." Color-blind? Well, at least I wasn't completely blind. The man listed off a few more things wrong with me. From the sound of it, I was lucky to even be alive, if you could call my state of being living.

"You think he'll wake up?" A female voice asked him.There was shuffling of papers. "Do you?" She pressed.

"He might. He might not. First, we need to find out who he is, so we won't give him anything he's allergic to." The male replied flatly.

"I hope he does, he looks so young. It'd be tragic if he were to die so soon."

"Don't get your hopes up, Linda. Remember last time?" There was a sigh, probably from Linda.

"Yes...Can we go?" She asked. There was only footsteps, so I assumed the man must've nodded. I was awake...I mean, I'd heard them. How did they not know my name? Had those thieves taken my ID too? Fuck...Well, things could always be worse. I mean, I wasn' dead, so that's a plus.