A New Life

Luk found Thanos engrossed in battle, fending off the frenzied attacks of the Jotun prince. He slid through the fray of battle, his black eyes focused solely on the monster that had caused this.

Thanos and Garik disappeared suddenly as the Gauntlet glowed yellow. Luk leapt onto the dais and sniffed the air. A metallic residue led him to the rip in the universe, leaving the fighters just a moment out of sync with the rest of the world. Luk stepped through, his hand stretching out and taking hold of the Titan. He concentrated on the energy surrounding him, feeling the walls of logic fall away and he was taken into the space between worlds.

Thanos' eyes widened and he stared down at Luk. He knew the day of his reckoning had come. Luk smiled and rested his hand on Thanos' chest. "Hello, love. Did you miss me?" He motioned from behind his back for Garik to stand. Thanos' heart thudded against Luk's hand. "Your heart's going a million miles a second. Are you alright?"

The calm that had pervaded his mind took over, allowing him to remain detached as he pulled the life from the Titan and wrenched his soul out. Thanos screamed, his eyes bulging as his precious Gauntlet remained inactive. Luk explained quietly that they were no longer in its own universe. He tugged the soul one last time and trapped it in the Soul Gem. Garik didn't even hesitate to let Luk have it.

"Good work. I'll take care of it." He pulled the walls back up and they returned to Jotunheim, leaving the Titan to rot in what even the goddess of death would call the deepest pits of hell. He strode from the room, remaining focused on the task that was still at hand.

............

"Luk!"

He pocketed the Soul Gem and caught Hel as she leapt into his arms. He rested his face in her hair and sighed. Relief coursed through him even as the gem vibrated in his pocket and reminded him of his responsibilities. He kissed the top of Hel's head and pulled back.

"What happened?" He asked.

She pointed towards the palace in the distance. "Hades came and arrested your brothers for treason and a host of other things. He wants us to stay with them when everything has been settled. And he'd like to meet Odin but Zeus seems to have wanted a say in that." She buried her face in his chest and squeezed him. "I was so scared. What happened?"

He held up the Soul Gem. "Thanos is dead. There's no coming back from this, not once I'm done with it." He hugged her tightly, feeling the way she still tensed at the mention of the Titan. "We're safe now. It's alright. Come, we have work to do."

He thanked Horeb and took Hel's hand, leading her back to the palace. Amet met them in the front courtyard. He rushed forward, bending into a swift bow before taking Luk into his arms. Luk smiled and patted the older servant on the back.

"I'm fine, Amet."

"You had me worried sick! Come." He started walking inside. "Your father came and took your brothers away. They were arrested and taken for Olympian justice on seven different charges. The Titan?"

Luk nodded. "I have him."

Amet gestured to a female servant. "Come, take Lady Hel to her chambers and take care of her."

Hel smiled gently at the maidservant who stepped forward to take her away. Luk squeezed her hand and pulled her back against his chest. He bent to whisper in her ear.

"I'm not quite done with you yet, darling. I fully plan to celebrate the end of this ordeal." He let her go. Hel blushed and hurried away. Amet gave Luk a censuring glare and walked away. He gave Luk the full details of all that had transpired in the interregnum. In the meantime, Luk ventured into his throne room. He took the ancient silver staff that lay on the floor beside his throne, the one he rarely had need of.