Chapter 4

My skin turns clammy and my mind is thrust into turmoil.

What does she mean, the killer sent it?

So the killer knows where I live?

He knows my name?

Aubrey just stares at me, as though gauging my reaction.

"My dad," I choke out in a whisper.

"I don't think the killer would make a move on him..." Nate says thoughtfully, his expression showing pure concentration.

"Did he tell you who sent it?" Aubrey asks.

"No. He just told me there's an envelope attached and it has my name on it." Oh God. He knows my name. He knows my name. He knows -

"Your name?" she looks skeptical.

"You'd think my dad knows his daughter's own name," I retort bitterly.

She glances at Nate, who speaks up. "You got your car here?"

"Me? Yeah." I answer, confused. "What -"

"Then let's go."

"Wait a minute, I'm not going anywhere. I told my dad I'll be home." Home's not safe. It's definitely not safe.

"Yeah you're going home and we're coming with you."

For a brief moment, I feel a sense of relief that I wouldn't be returning home alone - who knows if I could be targeted on my way? - but then I remember that my dad must never know what I'm up to. "Why?"

"Well, first, we'd have a little chat with your dad, and then we might as well check that bouquet of white lilies and the message inside."

"You can't!"

He looks at me. "What?"

"You can't come with me. If you do, my dad would definitely ask me what I'm doing with you detectives and if he puts two and two together and figures out I'm here -"

"You mean he doesn't know you're on the team?"

"I don't want him too." I say stubbornly. "He's going to try and talk me out of it."

"But you don't have to agree."

I glare at him. "But I don't like arguing with him! He's gonna go raving on and on about my safety, how it would be better if I just entrust it to you guys -"

"How about we get going right now, and you guys can argue on the way?" Aubrey interrupts, looking at both of us sternly. "We don't have all day."

--------

"Does your dad even remember who I am?" Luke whispers to me, looking worried.

"Relax!" I reassure him. Though I myself feeling anything but relaxed. The killer knows who I am and where I live. My dad's life is in danger, no doubt about it. How could I be relaxed, for God's sake? "I'll just do some explaining."

And also explain who are Aubrey and Nate.

"What are you two whispering about in the front?" Nate demands grumpily from the seat behind me. Come to think of it, he's been grumpy the moment Aubrey pulled Luke out of his seat and orders that he comes with us. I don't even know what's going on in that head of his. I mean, Luke does the fingerprint scans and stuff. He can try to identify the killer by inspecting the prints on the bouquet. He should come along.

There is nothing wrong here.

"Nothing," I shoot back, flashing him a look in the rear view mirror.