Chapter 3

"Here's a brief introduction to the team." Luke leads me to over to where a guy with short cropped black hair and gorgeous blue eyes typing away at his computer. "That's Oliver. He's a computer genius and does all the research diggings. He can hack into any computers, accounts, websites, you name it."

Oliver looks up from his computer. "Thanks for the major compliment, Luke. What's your name, beautiful?"

I feel my cheeks reddening. Ugh. "Um, Alexa, but call me Lex."

"He's also taken." Luke adds for my benefit.

I hit him hard on the arm and smile in satisfaction when I hear him wince.

He uses his other arm to point to a petite-looking girl with flowing blond hair. She's frowning at some X-Rays on the wall. "That's Aubrey. Not really a detective. She dropped out of med school and now she's responsible for tracking any evidence on victim bodies."

"Only that?"

"Yeah, but I think you might want to know she also does martial arts. Kick real ass, if you know what I mean."

"Got that. Anyone else I need to know?"

"Aubrey's got an assistant but she's not here today. Her name's Sierra. She doesn't do much but Aubrey likes working with her."

"An assistant?"

"Yeah and you're gonna be Nate's partner."

"What?!" I can't believe what I'm hearing. The guy doesn't even like me! We can't work together, that's for sure. We might end up killing each other before sunrise.

"Don't worry, beneath those mood swings, he's a good guy."

"Sure." I grumble. "We might last a day, or two..."

Luke rolls his eyes.

"What about you? Can't I work with you instead?"

"Nah, I like working by myself. Speaking of which, how do you plan on helping us anyways? You have school."

"I took a month's leave. The principal knew I could catch up so he let me."

He whistles lowly. "So you must be a good girl."

I chuckle. "Always have been, always will be."

"It's actually a really good thing you're here."

"Why?"

"We do interviews with all the victims' families  and relatives to see if they can give us any clues or leads, so you coming here saved us the trouble of finding you. Believe me, I've tried finding you and I couldn't. Well, I admit, I wasn't trying hard enough though."

"Well, glad I helped out. But you need me to call my dad over?"

"Probably, but not yet."

"Okay then. So, now that I'm eligible for this, mind telling me if there's any progress on the case? Things I'd have to know?"

"Nate will tell you all about it." Luke grins. "I've got to get back to work. I have a feeling you two are gonna be partners!"

"Now I'm actually hoping I don't last the week." I complain. "I can't work with him."

"Sure you can. He's great. You'll see." he winks and walks away.

"See what?" Nate comes up from behind me, startling the crap out of me.

"Don't appear out of thin air. You scare the crap out of me. Where were you anyways?"

"Just around. You ready to get on with the case? I really want to see what a little girl like you can do?"