Chapter 12: Sparks Need Time to Turn in to Flames

"How's everything coming along?" I chime in, appearing in the kitchen. I spy June and Russy talking at the table, writing down ideas for the new business. They're slightly bickering, but I know nothing bad will come out of it. Starting something so big was definitely rough on both of them, especially with them both having jobs during this.

June looks up from her paper, catching me in her gaze. She smiles a genuine smile. "Pretty good. Working out some little details."

"This is harder than what I thought it was going to be," Russy admits, her hands traveling to her face and shielding it. She was tired, restless, and probably a little grouchy. This, most likely, was not the best time to befriend her.

"Planning out this isn't easy!" June chimes in, almost laughing at the mentally pained red-head in front of her. "I told you that. It takes time and money."

Russy was sleep-deprived, and it didn't look good on her. "June, can we please do this later? I need a nap!"

June eyes Russy with a funny look. She thinks for a moment, and nods. "I could use a nap as well." She looks up at me, asking me a question. "Are you going somewhere with Andy today?"

I answer back, calm and loose. "Yeah. But just the poetry reading tonight."

I see her give me a glare of reassurance. "Great," she happily remarks.

I am making especially sure that June will never find out that Andy's real name is Andrew. She will call him that until the universe blows up.

As June leaves the room, Russy begins to stand. Quickly, I grab her arm and pull her back down in the chair. "Please stay," I beg of her.

"Why?" she questions, rubbing her red eyes.

I am honest with her. I never thought that in all my life I'd be asking Russy for this kind of information. I hope it will pay off. "I need advice."

Hypothetically, she questions on what. "On what--or who?"

"Andy," I slowly breathe out. I needed advice on what to do.

"Let me ask you a question, first," she says, leading me on. "Have you guys kissed yet?"

I shake my head. "We've gotten close. Twice. One time we were interrupted, and the other...well, I'm not really sure why." It was weird to say it out loud. Andy and I, it seemed like we were cursed. Someone--or something--does not want us to be together.

Since we were alone, Russy decided to dig deep. "What do you need advice on?"

"Well," I ponder, pausing for a moment, "you know everything on relationships. Do you think mine is pure--or something?"

Russy's facial expression turns to something out of the ordinary. It shows confusion and worry. "Pure?" she repeats, wondering what I truly meant. "What do you mean?"

"Should I continue this thing between us?" I question. "Andy and I," I say, making sure she knew what I was talking about.

She looks at me very weirdly. "That's up to you, Alex." She fixes her body in her chair, positioning herself at another angle. "It depends on if it's worth it. If he proves to you that he loves you and wants to be with you, then do it. Just make sure he's not a you-know-who."

Oh, Russy. If only you knew just who Eden Wicker was and what he did to me.

____________________________________________________

I saw him come in through the front door of the coffee shop. With Russy's words still echoing in the back of my mind, I begin to grow worried. I tap my coffee cup, thinking of caffeine and nicotine mixing together in bliss. I look up at Andy, and I see him walking over with a notebook in his hand. I could tell he was blushing by the way he walked over, his head looking at his feet. Usually, he was assertive, and had his head up at all times.