Broken

Running. I was running for my life and I knew...I knew they were chasing me, and if I stopped for a minute it would be the end of me.

I left them back there. God I'm such a coward. Hot tears trickled down my cheeks after hearing the loud gun shots coming from behind.

I'm sorry. God I'm so sorry. I charged into a restaurant and went through the back door knowing very well that they followed me in.

-That morning-

****

"Good morning." I mumbled as I took a seat at the table with Anna and Salvador.

It was tense. No one uttered a word and we sat in an uncomfortable silence. They were both stealing glances at each other the whole time and I made the link.

"You two fucked didn't you?" I smirked and they both spit out their food.

"Where are you getting this from?" My father spoke coldly, to hide his flushed face.

"Oh please, can you be more obvious?" I chuckled humorously and they both stayed silent.

"Alright fine, what's on the agenda today?" I asked.

"We need to go into town." My father said and I nodded.

"I'll meet you by the car in 10."

****

We cruised through the city, and I kept staring at my lock screen the whole time.

"Don't even think about it." Anna ordered as she scanned the text. I nodded slowly and locked my phone, gaining a pain in my chest.

Finally, the car came to a stop and apparently we were at some abandoned warehouse.

"Stay in the car. We'll grab some guns and we'll be on our way."

I have no idea how many minutes I spent waiting for them, but it's been too long for my liking.

Stepping out of the car slowly, both my father and Anna charged out of the building with horrified expressions.

"Run, Valentina!" My father screamed and the desperation in his voice made it clear that something was indeed very wrong. And so I did. I ran. I ran straight in the other direction, hearing explosions and gunshots behind me.

Breathing hard, I took a look inside the restaurant, where everyone was scrambling outside, from the corner of my eyes and saw them. Two armed men. Taking a deep breath, I convinced myself that I wasn't this coward, helpless girl that couldn't defend herself.

I was strong. I was taught to be strong, and that's exactly what I'll be. Grabbing my gun from my back pocket, I inhaled one more time, convincing myself that I could do it.