Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen: Competitions

"It is difficult to know at what moment love begins; it is less difficult to know that it has begun." -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

-

 "Okay, so here's what we know," Director Fury leans forward on the meeting table, "Thanos has a large army of Titans ready to suck the energy out of Earth and use it for his own evil powers. The way he contains this energy is through the gems embedded into his gloves, which is known as the Infinity Gauntlet. It would be much easier if we could just destroy these gems, but to our luck they're indestructible. Thor's father, Odin, defeated Thanos before thousands of years ago. He has given us a set of hand cuffs that will lock onto Thanos's wrists and immobilize the gems. Once locked on the gauntlet, the bifrost will be opened and send Thanos to be in the custody of the Elders of the Universe. The Elders will be expecting him, where they can fully cut off his powers and keep him detained. I am aware of the risk that I have no knowledge of these Elders of the Universe, but I have faith in Thor as Earth is under his protection.  Asgard is our ally and they know much more about this than we do.

 "Thanos also utilizes a throne that works with his gems and allows him to be able to teleport. He can travel through time and space. Odin believes that this chair can be destroyed. If you get a clear shot, shoot the hell out of that chair.

 "We also know Thanos is planning to attack in Berlin at the Berlin Cathedral on the night of the World War II Memorial Soiree. Agent Romanoff, Captain Rogers, Stark, Doctor Banner, and Agent Potts will go undercover at this party to try and be ready for Thanos. We don't want to cause suspicion to the public. Once the battle begins, you will need to escort those civilians to safety for there will be many aristocrats and political figures attending. It is your mission to get these handcuffs onto Thanos and stop him from sucking all the cosmic energy out of our planet."

 "Wait, did you say 'Agent Potts'?" I inquire despite the lack of immediate importance.

 "Yes, I did. Congratulations, Monica, you're an official agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.," He nods.

 "But I haven't finished training yet!" I exclaim, fearing I may be lacking the proper credentials.

 "Yeah, this is a dangerous battle and Monica isn't fully prepared for it," Tony steps in.

 "She showed her skills in Hamburg. I have no doubts that Monica will be a good fit with the Avengers Initiative and can carry out her duties in this mission," Director Fury states firmly, "I'll say it once again, congratulations, Agent Potts."

 "Wow," I can't hide the smile on my face as the team briefly congratulates me. As my induction to an official S.H.I.E.L.D. agent isn't the most pressing matter right now, the celebration is short lived.

 "What about the Uru weapons?" Agent Romanoff queries as she directs us back to the pressing matter at hand.

 "Thanos will used to help contain his powers and use them against us," Thor explains, "Uru has a natural affinity to his powers. Only the higher ranked soldiers in Thanos's army will have the Uru scepters, for they are few in numbers and powerful."

 "Is that what they were firing at us in the cave?" I make a possible connection.

 "No, that was their own weaponry. Uru is much more threatening," Thor answers with a shake of his head.

 "What about me?" Agent Barton speaks up, "I refuse to just sit back here when we all know we will need all the help they can get."

 "Which is exactly why we will situate you on the roof of the Altes Museum; it's facing the Lustgarten and you will have a clear view of the Berlin Cathedral. It will be your duty to report any suspicious activity and alert the others of Thanos' arrival," Director Fury answers his concern.