Chapter Six

She walked through the threshold and stood a couple feet into the room. She looked around and shrugged. "For once he doesn't seem to be here."

Meredith shook her head. She pointed to the Room of Destiny. "You didn't even look. He's probably in there."

Meredith pushed past Sadie again, this time bumping into her shoulder. Sadie was taken aback, but her roommate didn't seem to notice. Sadie watched Meredith disappear into the Room of Destiny worriedly. Meredith was her friend, but she was beginning to wonder if this was such a good idea.

Sadie made her way into the next room, though she didn't rush. She poked her head in and noticed Meredith snooping around the desks.

"What are you doing?" Sadie asked.

Meredith looked up startled. She shrugged. "I'm just looking."

Sadie couldn't put her finger on it, but Meredith was making her feel uneasy. She walked to the front of the room and put her notebook and quill down on the large desk up front. She sat down in the chair and swiveled back and forth not knowing what to do next.

"So, you're really going to do this, then?" Meredith asked.

Sadie looked back in her friend's direction. Meredith was standing in between two desks in the front row with her hands on her hips.

"I don't think I have a choice," Sadie muttered.

"She knows her fate."

Sadie looked at the back of the room where Professor Hobbs stood. Meredith didn't flinch.

"My fate?" Sadie asked.

"Destiny, fate, same difference," Professor Hobbs replied with a wave of his hand.

He strolled through the desks making his way to the front. Sadie watched him carefully. He looked different. His gray hair wasn't as disheveled as before and he wore a crisp white lab coat. Sadie had never seen him so dolled up before.

He stopped beside Meredith, only a single desk in between them. He glanced at her and Meredith at him. They smiled at each other briefly before turning their attention back to Sadie, who narrowed her eyes in suspicion.

"You're not mad Meredith is here? She found out about the notebook," Sadie stated.

Professor Hobbs shrugged. "She knew about it first. It was only a matter of time before she found out her roommate was keeping secrets from her."

"She's still able to see the room though because she knows it exists?" Sadie questioned.

Professor Hobbs nodded.

Sadie stiffened in her seat. That didn't seem right to her. So, she could tell Jake about the notebook and if he believed her, he'd be able to come right into this sacred room? None of that made sense.

"What's your title, Professor Hobbs?" Sadie asked. "I can see because I'm a Scribe, Meredith was almost the Scribe... what about you? How come you can see the room?"

It had occurred to Sadie she didn't know much about her old professor. He randomly took her under his wing and that was it. Sadie had a better understanding why she was chosen to the be the Scribe since Meredith rewrote her future, but there was no explanation for how Professor Hobbs came to be where he was.

Professor Hobbs cast a side glance at Meredith, who returned the look. Sadie scrunched up her face in annoyance. Why was he looking at Meredith for an answer? Sadie stood up in her chair putting her hands on her notebook in case she had to grab it quick. She was certainly out of the loop and she didn't like it.

"I need to show you something." Professor Hobbs walked forward and to the other side of the desk. He stood in front of a large forest green statue.

Sadie craned her neck to look at it. She had noticed the statue to the left side of her desk before, but she didn't think to ask any questions about it.

The statue had to have been at least 10-feet tall. It was a woman, draped in some sort of cloak. Her arms were down by her side but her hands were out, palm facing up, as though she was waiting for an offering. It looked pretty uncomfortable to Sadie.

"This is the Goddess Destiny," Professor Hobbs stated. He stood in front of the statue looking up at her face. He paused, looking the statue up and down before stepping back and turning his attention back to Sadie. "Put your hands on hers."

"Why?" Sadie deadpanned.

"She'll give you your full power. The quill accepted your notebook and recognizes you as the Scribe, but now Destiny herself must approve of you," Professor Hobbs explained.

Sadie swallowed. That didn't make much sense to her. She looked over at Meredith, who shrugged in response.

Sadie sighed and walked up to the statue. She wasn't sure if she could fully trust the old man, but it seemed reasonable enough.

She stood in front of the statue and stared at the smooth hands. She lifted her own hands up, standing on her tip-toes to get into a comfortable position. The statue was rather large compared to her. Sadie put her hands in the statue's and the room around her changed.

The Room of Destiny got brighter as a yellow glow emanated from the statue. Sadie looked over her shoulder confused. Professor Hobbs and Meredith didn't flinch and Sadie noticed all the quills in the room were standing straight up, hovering above their notebooks, no longer writing.

"What's going on?" she shouted even though there was no noise around her. A heavy silence lingered in the air and a sudden chill went down her spine. Neither Professor Hobbs nor Meredith replied to her, though Sadie wasn't sure if they didn't hear her or if they were ignoring her as they continued to stare right at her.

She looked past them and back at the desks. One by one the quills began writing again, this time names appearing on each desk.

Rob Anderson. Hailey Faber. Martin Daniels.

"I can see names," Sadie whispered.

The glowing stopped. Sadie took her hands slowly off the statue as her body warmed up again. The room was no longer still and everything seemed back to normal.

"Those are the names of everyone in the world. Destiny has deemed you worthy enough to be her Scribe," Professor Hobbs explained.

"But what am I supposed to do now?" Sadie asked.

"Supervise. You are now in charge of everyone's destinies."

Sadie walked back over to her desk and picked up her quill. It shook in her hands as though it was itching to begin writing. She sat down in her chair watching as her notebook opened itself up. She glanced up noticing a couple quills in front of her were now glowing yellow. Her quill drew itself to the paper and began to write.

"You are here to rewrite any unjust or premature deaths," Professor Hobbs stated.

Sadie ignored him as she continued to write. She wasn't thinking, the quill seemed to be doing everything for her.

"Your presence will carry on the magic," he explained as though reading Sadie's mind.

Sadie looked up at the desks again to see the yellow quills were going back to normal. She was saving people's lives. No one would die before their time while Sadie was there. She smiled to herself. Maybe this wasn't going to be so bad after all.

Then she suddenly remembered one of the quills died and was reincarnated. She looked to her right at the first desk to check out the name.

Meredith Davis.

Sadie gasped, her hand still writing, as she whipped her head around to face her dear friend. Meredith stood beside the statue of Destiny staring evenly back at Sadie.