Chapter Two

When Sadie made it back to her room, Meredith was already sleeping. Sadie, after swinging the door open with a loud whoosh, closed it as quietly as she could.

Sadie took the notebook out of the inside pocket of her jacket. She looked at it thoroughly – front, back, sides – but she didn't open it. There was something off about the notebook and the way Professor Hobbs had given it to her. His words spooked her and she wanted nothing to do with it.

Meredith stirred in her bed and Sadie held her breath. When Meredith's breathing went steady, Sadie tiptoed to her own bed. She lifted the bottom corner of her mattress and tucked the notebook far underneath. She put the mattress down and sat on it burying her face in her hands. Nerves shot through her whole body, but why? It was just a notebook after all.

Sadie scooted her backside to the middle of her bed and laid down flat on her back. She rested her head on her pillow staring blankly at the ceiling willing sleep to come quick.

*

Sadie blinked her eyes open, her vision blurry. She rubbed them with the backs of her hands and forced herself to sit up. She groggily gazed around the room momentarily forgetting where she was.

Then she caught sight of Meredith staring at her.

"Uh, good morning," Sadie groaned before clearing her throat.

Meredith stood at the foot of her own bed with her arms folded across her chest. She stared at Sadie with a quizzical expression. "Why are you still wearing your clothes from last night?"

Sadie opened her mouth and looked down at her body. She was so in shock last night she didn't even bother to get dressed in her pajamas.

Meredith giggled. "Did you see Professor Hobbs last night or Jake?"

Sadie jumped out of her bed defensive, nearly falling over. Her head was heavy and the room spun from getting up too fast.

"That answers that." Meredith laughed. She turned away from Sadie and picked up some books that rested on her bed. When she twisted her head to look over her shoulder she frowned. "Really, are you feeling okay? You look pale."

Sadie waved her hand dismissively and staggered over to her dresser. "I'm alright, really. I didn't sleep well."

Meredith's grin came back but she didn't say anything.

Sadie chose to ignore her roommate's lack of comment and opened the top drawer to find a new shirt for the day. She rummaged through her neatly folded clothes. She pulled out a blue blouse and gasped dropping it onto the floor.

"What's wrong?" Meredith spun around from her laptop at her desk.

Sadie turned around leaning against the drawer closing it with her back with a loud snap. "Nothing. Sorry."

Meredith narrowed her eyes in suspicion but slowly turned back around. She began typing on her laptop again.

Sadie drew in a silent breath and faced her dresser again. She opened the top drawer as quietly as she could and peeked inside. There it was, buried with her clothes, the notebook. She closed the drawer looking over at her bed. Didn't she put it under her mattress? Sadie shook her head as she bent down to pick up her blouse. She was so tired last night she must have forgotten where she put it.

There came a knock at the door.

"It's open," Meredith called still typing not giving Sadie a chance to protest.

Sadie held her blouse up to her chest covering her pajamas and stared at the door.

It opened revealing spiky dirty blonde hair and deep brown eyes on a tall, handsome, young man. He poking his head in smiling, but it quickly faded upon seeing Sadie.