Vesta

Eli decided to forget learning about the huge creatures

Eli decided to forget learning about the huge creatures. Therefore, running through the city with the dog tailing him.

Eli sprinted through the city: empty burger and sandwiches shop; laundry shop with broken washing machines; heavily dented cars; motionless bodies which stayed at the ground.

The dog still tailed him.

Eli stormed through dark alleys with odd turns, hoping that the dog would lose track of him.

The dog tried to chase after him until Eli cannot be seen anymore. Eli with huffs and puffs and coughs as a dog, trudged through and through the alleys until the sound of the dog chasing behind him was gone. He stopped in a corner and looked behind him. The dog was not there anymore. The sounds of the burning city still filled the dark alleys and echoed through each sides of the area. Trash bins scattered everywhere, alcohol bottles, tissue papers, test papers, torn rags. Eli sighed in relief.

HELP! HELP! The dog whimpered.

You've gotta help me dude!

Eli froze for a second, thought about the dog and also half-thought that it was a trick and a delusion. Until he'd heard the dog groan and whimper in pain.

"Oh come on, I'm not doing this" said Eli.

He's doing it.

"Welp"

Eli breached through previous alleys once more, this time, following the dog's noise.

As he turned in a corner, there's the dog trying to fend off three medium-sized pythons. Stone-like steel eyes embedded in an otherwise unbroken sheath scales.

The dog barked and barked while moving backwards inch by inch.

What's the worst enemy of a snake? Eli thought. Hawks? Eagles? The snakes are way too big.

Ummm hurry up, will you? exclaimed the dog.

Eli stormed forward. "Alright run!"

The dog sprinted through Eli's direction.

Eli materialized slow into an eagle and screamed a war cry.

"AAaaAAaaaAaaAh!"

Ooookay? The dog said, now watching far behind.

As he approached, one snake lunged toward his legs, but Eli manages to dodge on time. The same for the next few lunges. It's like looking at seals playing with a beach ball.

Eli flew up high enough out of the snakes' reach.

"Cannon ball!!" cried Eli. His voice turned from small into a deep and large voice. He turned into a rock golem.

And so, he crushed the damn snakes.

And they lived happily ever after.

No.

Eli smiled, as though it is the first time he smiled after all the chaos. He waved at the dog and motioned for it to come.

He turned into a human form and pet the dog to oblivion. The dog barked with joy, one after another. After snuggling through Eli's arms, legs, and face, the dog stepped back, its tail still wagging.

Eli turned into a dog.

Oh! Eli! That was so awesome! You were like 'pheeew' and then a second later you were like eeek-BOOM!

They are both giggling, his muscles are shaking and tears stream from his half closed eyes.

When the sun rises casting the sky in their hues, bringing warm brown tones over the Earth once more along with the ongoing city fire, Eli felt something. As if invisible holes were poked in his skin during the night and all his tension leeched out. He felt lighter and dropped to the ground still giggling. He smiled.

For a moment, he forgets all about the relic mumbo jumbo. He forgets everything that had just happened. He forgets every pain, every bruise. It is as if he's enjoying it, until he remembers Sarah. The one he loved, the one who made him happy. One that kept the fire burning in his eyes. One that created warmth in his soul. One who didn't make him feel different. He's an alien, it's a fact. But with Sarah, he didn't feel like one. He feels as though he's human. As if every love song and poems finally made sense.

Is there something wrong? The dog asked.

"Oh, uhh nothing. Nothing at all." said Eli

Nah, there's something wrong, come here. The dog snuggled Eli once more.

"You know what? You need a name."

OH! PLEASE DO! The dog exclaimed.

"Biscuits"

Oof! Where?!

"No, that is your name."

That's a nice name! The dog jumped around Eli.

"Now calm down, Biscuits" said Eli while giggling. "We have a job to do."

What job?, said Biscuits.

"Umm, I don't know. Go to outer space?" said Eli.

Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy!, Biscuits jumped around in glee, he ran full circles around Eli while giving it all to give a lick on his face.

"Alright, Jesus, settle down, Biscuits." Eli placed his own paw on top of Biscuit's head, who's panting after the sudden excitement.

The unsubdued light and heat from the sun turned intense as they left the ruined city on the distance. Some residual smoke hung in the air, shifting like huge ghosts in the breeze. Slowly, sirens can be heard from the distance getting closer into the wreckage.

A gust of dry wind winds through the maze of ancient houses where windows have long shattered in the weakness of their structures and rotting boards, some broken, others hanging try to cover the empty eyes of every abandoned home. Debris of plant pots, hanging planters, and wooden chairs scattered anywhere within each houses' vicinity.

Eli and Biscuits trudged deeper in through the abandoned town. Biscuits told a lot of unfunny jokes which worked for Eli anyway. Eli, kept on storytelling with the topic being outer space and recent events.

A wide entrance opened into a huge junkyard. Beyond it the tottering piles of dead and broken cars. Everything of any value had been stripped away and only the rusting carcasses remained, heaped one on top of the other, along with random scraps of metals. Bunk beds, broken televisions, remote control cars, computer monitors, all useless junks were scattered in this very junkyard.

Deeper in, a huge metal ball: like a zorg ball but bigger in size, and was constructed with an unknown sturdy metal. It was painted in white, some of it.

"Here we are" Eli turned into human form and placed his hands on his hips. "Vesta"