Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen:

            Dawn found me still at the gravesite of the school. The fire had obviously taken place months ago, as the ash mingled with the most recent snowfall. Something hard formed in my gut, something like a vow to find out what had happened and who had been responsible—and then doing everything in my power to make them pay.

            I headed to the main street, where breakfasters were out in full force. I joined the line for the pastry bar, and casually asked what had happened to the school.

            The woman in front of me glanced at me warily. "Are you new here?"

            "Yes," I answered honestly. "I just arrived last night."

            She scanned me, thinking through how much she should tell me, or if I was trustworthy. He doesn't look like a sentry, she mused. Not like that brute who came through town last night.

            I wondered if Felix was here right now, and what he was doing. "I'm just here for a few days," I said, hoping to gain her confidence. "I'm visiting my brother and his family before returning to Crylon."

            I knew the city-state of Crylon was a three-day walk to the southeast. A city completely surrounded by forests, it had been built on top of a hill and therefore had no walls or fences. Nature's boundaries—and their Councilman's strict rules for segregation of information—kept the people contained.

            "The Supremist came last September," the woman said, finally deciding to trust me. "He brought with him new educational policies, and when the headmaster as the school didn't follow through, Pederson torched the place."

            My mouth opened in shock. "New policies?" I hadn't heard            of any new educational policies. Of course, I'd left as summer had come to a close, just a week before September began.

            "He's been making new rules left and right," the woman told me. "If someone doesn't comply...." She trailed off, and her meaning was clear. Anyone who didn't obey was killed.

            "Were there any Elemental survivors?" I asked.

            "Several," she said. "Councilman Green sent them to the school in Crylon."

            Strong relief streamed through me. "Thank you," I said, stepping out of line because I no longer felt hungry.

"Sure," she called. "Are you looking for a school? Because the only school left, as I understand it, in is Crylon. There was a sentry from Tarpulin here last night. He said all the schools had been closed."

I waved to her, thinking Closed? More like destroyed. I forced myself to walk to the edge of the city before composing an air message for Airmaster Jones. "I have just learned that all schools except the one in Crylon have been destroyed." I sent the current away and only had to wait an hour before it returned.

"Davison has received rumors that the Supremist can control all four Elements. In order to plan an attack, he's gathering the willing Councilmen to Gregorio. Have you found Felix?" The air carried the voice of Airmaster Jones.

            All four Elements? ran through my mind. I had seen Alex throw fire—plenty of times. I'd also seen her bury the Elemental Academy. It wasn't a far stretch for me to believe she could do exactly as Davison suspected.

I sent a quick message back to Jones that I didn't know where Felix was. Part of me wanted to run to Crylon and enroll in their Airmaster training. I couldn't stand the thought of not having a school to attend.