Chapter Ten

Five weeks later:

Chapter Ten:

I left the orchard where I’d been practicing my airmaking Element with my instructor, fully expecting to trot back to my barracks and lay on my bed until the dinner bell rang. I couldn’t believe I’d gotten into the Elemental school in Gregorio so easily, but all I’d had to do was send a current toward the interviewer.

She asked me where I’d been, and I told her I’d been on the sentry track in Tarpulin—until the Academy there was destroyed. That little tidbit earned me an audience with Councilman Davison, and we’d had a long talk about Alex’s new educational policies, most of which he strongly disagreed with.

I started attending classes the next day, and part of every session was open-air time in the orchards, honing the airmaking Element.

I hadn’t seen or spoken with Davison again, which was just fine by me. I knew he wasn’t happy with Alex, but I’d kept her secret. All I wanted was the Elemental training, and I’d gotten what I wanted.

“See you tomorrow,” my instructor called as his next student arrived. I waved to both of them as I set out toward the barracks. I was practically skipping and whistling when I rounded the corner, but froze at the sight of Felix in his sentry uniform.

I ducked around the building before he could see me, but even as I leaned my head against the stones and wondered what to do, I knew my time in Gregorio was over. Felix was not here by chance or on a whim. My tattoo had not moved in the five weeks I’d been here, and his mission was still to find me and bring me back to Tarpulin.

I sent the air to eavesdrop on Felix, a handy little trick I’d learned here in Gregorio. I mourned the loss of my Elemental education, and I hadn’t even fled yet. But I knew I would. I’d have to raid the laundry for extra clothes, see if I could bribe one of my buddies for food. I didn’t have time to gather anything the way I had in Tarpulin.

While I waited for the current to return, I wondered if I should alert Davison. I didn’t know exactly what to tell him though. My brother is here, looking for me? He wouldn’t see that as his fight, even if he disagreed with the Supremist’s educational policies.

“Airmasters work in the orchards, sir,” the air current hissed as it curled through my hair. It was a girl’s voice, probably an Unmanifested servant Felix had stopped to question.

I didn’t need to hear any more. I couldn’t return to my room, and I couldn’t hide out in the orchards. The laundry facilities and kitchen lay on the other side of campus, but I could avoid Felix easily enough to get there.

I hurried around the building, away from my brother and my barracks, composing an air message to Davison.

“Felix Gillman, the Supremist’s personal sentry, has arrived in Gregorio. I don’t think he’s up to anything good.” I whispered the message into the air, and then flicked it away, telling it to “Go to Davison.”

I watched it fly through the sky, physically feeling it catch on other currents and fight its way toward the Councilman’s high-rise. Davison seemed to be a good Councilman; his people loved and respected him. He didn’t house himself or his Council in a fortress like most of the other cities. Real estate in Gregorio was at a premium, and the Councilman had opted to put his Council and workers in the tallest building in the city. At night, it shone like a diamond needle piercing the sky, and during the day the sun glinted off the windows in blinding patterns.

When the current had safely reached the top floor of the Councilman’s building, I focused on my tasks on the ground. Clothing. Food. Boots. Shelter. I ran through the checklist as I walked, being careful to keep my sentry eye out for Felix. I hadn’t been actively acting as a sentry for over a month, but the skills that had been drilled into me didn’t die that easily.