Chapter Five

Marlee:

"Presenting Queen Eadlyn Schreave-Koskinen, King Consort Erik Koskinen, and Princess Kerttu Koskinen of Illea!" someone announced as Eadlyn, Erik, and Kerttu walked in. America had made her way toward me after she and Maxon was announced, with him by her side. They were clapping, but something was off with them.

"Presenting Prince Consort Ahren Schreave de Sauveterre (I improvised with his last name here) and Princess Camille de Sauveterre of France!" Everyone clapped again.

Once everyone was announced, America turned toward me.

"What's wrong?" I asked immediately.

"Where's Carter, he also needs to hear this," America said.

"He's with Kile over there," I said pointing across the room.

"Ok, can you go get him? This is something I am not sure Kile or Josie should hear yet" she asked.

"Alright..." I said worriedly and walking toward my husband and son.

"Hi Mom!" Kile said embracing me.

"Hello Kile! How are you?" I asked as I embraced Kile.

"Good, good. And you?" Kile asked.

"Quite well. Carter, America and Maxon want to talk to us about something that Kile and Josie can't hear apparently," I said.

"Do you know what this is about?" Carter asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Your guess is as good as mine."

"Sorry, Kile. We'll talk later. Go find your sister, or Eadlyn and Ahren," Carter said. Kile winced at the mention of Eadlyn, but walked over to Josie and Kaden.

"Come," I pulled on his arm.

"Hello, your Majesties" Carter said as we approached Maxon and America.

"Hello Carter, Marlee" Maxon said, smiling at the greeting.

"You wanted to speak with us?" I asked.

"Yes. Well, we were wondering if Josie and Kile know about how you...got together." America asked, nervously.

"No, they don't." I looked at Carter for confirmation, and he nodded.

"Why do you ask?" he questioned.

"As our birthday gift to Ahren and Eadlyn, we promised to tell them the 'non-sugar coated' version of our Selection, and how we fell in love. We are about to approach the part about Halloween, and we wondered if you wanted to tell them," Maxon suggested.

"Sure, why not?" Carter replied as I nodded.

"You can also bring your children. They don't have to come, it's just Osten isn't really good at keeping secrets," America said, rolling her eyes.

"We'll talk about it," I said immediately, so Carter wouldn't say anything yet.

They nodded. "We are meeting in the Women's room, so just come after the party. Lucy and Aspen will be there as well," America said, giggling a little.

"How is that going? Did you tell them yet?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Let's just say it was a shock."

We all laughed.

"Excuse us, I am quite thirsty. But see you later!" I said waving, as I made my way to the refreshments table, Carter following.

"So..." Carter began. "What was the 'we will talk about it' about?"

I turned toward him. "I feel a little guilty that we haven't told Josie and Kile yet. Think about how they will react, Carter. I don't want them to be upset that we kept this from them for so long. Especially Kile, I don't want to fight with him when we can barely see him," I said, taking a glass.

"I agree, but we also don't want them to hear it from someone other than us. You heard America. Osten doesn't have the best secret keeping record, so even if he is told to not tell Josie or Kile... it could slip out. That would probably be even worse."

"True," I pointed out.

"I am fine with it, as long as you're fine with it, Marlee" Carter said, taking my hand in his and squeezing it gently.

I looked at my scars that were nearly gone from time. Could I do it? Could I tell my own children one of the best and worst days of my life?

Cliffhanger! What do you think will happen? I am not even sure... lol